Thread: V-drive Inboard To Outboard Steering

707-CREW
    I have one more question to ask you guys.....If I have a sanger ski hydro with inb. steering. can I convert this to outboard steering? I would think a 1500hp alky engine would be too much for the rudder box. What do you think???? thanks

Racey
    You can do anything you want , i would say with big hp outboard steering is better, it will gain you some mph also, less drag since you dont have to push the width of the steering shaft through the water only the thickness of the blade.
    Building an outboard steering will cost you a bit, quite a bit of machining. but nothing too major.

Bt273
    you should ask joe shelfo,there are guys on here that have his number,I think there is some fiberglass necesary on the transom to beef it up to take the extra force that is pushing against it,if I were you I would go to joes shop,he is excellent to deal with and he is close to you.

gochappy
    my experience is that it won't turn with that kind of HP anyway....so if your looking for it to turn, it won't happen

coolchange
    I think if you're gonna really put that much power to a Sanger ski hydro set up you need to scap the whole set up. Just moving the rudder is nothing compared to where the prop, strut, brace, shaft angle, v drive and motor are.

g935
    I think if you're gonna really put that much power to a Sanger ski hydro set up you need to scap the whole set up. Just moving the rudder is nothing compared to where the prop, strut, brace, shaft angle, v drive and motor are.
    what he said
    Geoff

mfrey
    I agree with the comments above. I have thought about doing the same...I think I'm nearing the end of my ski hydro's capability (9.61/110). But to make the change to outboard steering, you'd have to move the strut back (the ski hydro strut is more forward) which would change the shaft angle, which would change the v-drive mounting, not to mention the shaft hole in the boat, etc. It would be a big pain in the ass to change EVERYTHING. I'd recommend finding a drag hydro for that kind of hp.