Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Recapturing my youth by building a wood flatbottom

creepingcharlie
    this is one cool thread. If someone could point out what keel, bow stem, battons, chine ,and shear are that would be great as I don't know what or where they are located. I got a lot to learn still. thanks

Do you have a picture of what this boat will look like when finished and what kind of power will you be puttting in it? Looks kool...
    Steve

Stab-n-Steer
    John,
    Cool as hell!!! This is probably a stupid question but what kind of wood is used for the frames and keel?
    Thanks,
    S&S

FLATMVN
    this is one cool thread. If someone could point out what keel, bow stem, battons, chine ,and shear are that would be great as I don't know what or where they are located. I got a lot to learn still. thanks
    In the pics,
    The keel is the 1x4 piece that runs down the center of the boat, if I am correct the Bow Stem is the piece ( darker wood ) that is connected to it that continues up to the front where the point of the nose will be.
    The battons are all the 1x2 pieces that run the length of the boat to hold the frames to gether and add support.
    The chine's are where the side and the botttom meet there is a piece added there for stregth and the Shear is the part that goes all the way around the top of the frames to join the sides , deck and transome together.
    If I have been paying attention to John's other builds then 5 will be correct in this explanation. But if I am not I appoligise and will leave it to the expert's. I am just testing my knowledge.

Good job... Go to the head of the class
    Steve...

creepingcharlie
    In the pics,
    The keel is the 1x4 piece that runs down the center of the boat, if I am correct the Bow Stem is the piece ( darker wood ) that is connected to it that continues up to the front where the point of the nose will be.
    The battons are all the 1x2 pieces that run the length of the boat to hold the frames to gether and add support.
    The chine's are where the side and the botttom meet there is a piece added there for stregth and the Shear is the part that goes all the way around the top of the frames to join the sides , deck and transome together.
    If I have been paying attention to John's other builds then 5 will be correct in this explanation. But if I am not I appoligise and will leave it to the expert's. I am just testing my knowledge.
    thanks for the break down.

johnmiller
    Flatmvn your correct except the keel is actually a full 5" wide.
    To answer another question about wood:
    I use poplar for all the framing except for frame 5,6,& 7, they are oak, that area of the bottom gets the pounding!.
    I also use oak for the engine stringers and their supports which you'll see later. The framing is a little over-kill (4 battons on each side,
    frames are 18" on center). Boat is 17' 8" done the center.
    All the framing I had finished by the end of Jan 2007. The following pics are of the sides and bottom skin. The sides have such a drastic bend
    I have to glue 2 layers of 1/8" plywood to build them which is actually stronger than 1/4" plywood. The bottom is 7 layer 1/2" birch plywood.
    I scarf all the plywood joints.
    pics of the sides 1st layer then finished with second layer of 1/8" birch ply
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...00/sides_1.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...00/sides_5.JPG

wsuwrhr
    I just wet myself a little. Keep it coming.

riverbound
    Awesome!!! Keep the pics coming.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast