Thread: intercooler plumbing

ovrkll77
    I have searched all the threads and can't find an answer. I have a forced fed pick up going to 3 oil coolers (trans, p/s, engine oil) will I be able to use this to feed the intercooler? If so run it to the intercooler first, or the oil coolers?

I've always run through the intercooler first then out through the oil cooler(s).

obnoxious001
    I've always run through the intercooler first then out throught the oil cooler(s).
    Mike is right, you want the intake charge as cool as possible. Also make sure you have adequate outlet(s) so you don't create a back pressure problem.

VDRIVERACING
    Is there such a thing as a pressure relief valve on the pressure side of the intercooler???

Is there such a thing as a pressure relief valve on the pressure side of the intercooler???
    You shouldn't need it with adequate outlet size. I don't see why you couldn't use a pressure bypass much like we use on jets though.

brad22
    I have searched all the threads and can't find an answer. I have a forced fed pick up going to 3 oil coolers (trans, p/s, engine oil) will I be able to use this to feed the intercooler? If so run it to the intercooler first, or the oil coolers?
    I would use the drive to feed the intercooler then go from intercooler to oil coolers then dump overboard. Use the force feed pickup and go straight the the sea strainer or sea pump (im not sure how you have it setup) to feed the engine. You can get an adapter like this (http://www.cpperformance.com/SearchR...ords=125-40015) to get the drive water to your intercooler and oil coolers. Hope this helps.

born2burn
    Why wouldnt one use a 2 stage pump? One stage designated specifically for the intercooler.

brad22
    Why wouldnt one use a 2 stage pump? One stage designated specifically for the intercooler.
    Even Better

Brian
    I run the outdrive pickup force fed (no pump) to the intercooler with a relief valve and then straight out to a dump that I can look back and see (little piece of mind before I jump on the throttle). Another larger pickup goes to the sea pump, relief valve, oil cooler, exhaust manifolds, engine, then out the tailpipes. That setup lets the engine run at a reasonable temp (130-160) even without a t-stat.