Thread: How to winterize boat?

Lumpy
    Hey Guys,
    I know it is a little early to be thinking of winterizing but I have a few questions. What is the best way to remove all the water from the block, v-drive, and velvet drive transmission? Or do you run antifreeze through it? Also what is the best way to keep your carb gaskets from drying up over the winter? Starting it for a short period say once a month or so? Thanks......Lumpy

Stab-n-Steer
    Lumpy,
    I have a port on the input side of the water pump that I hook up a hose with a funnel. With the boat running, I slowly pour antifreeze in... When the exhaust water turns green, I shut it off. Of course you want to do this on the trailer with a hose not in the lake. Antifreeze is not something we want in our lakes and rivers...
    S&S

moomba
    Originally posted by Stab-n-Steer:
    Lumpy,
    I have a port on the input side of the water pump that I hook up a hose with a funnel. With the boat running, I slowly pour antifreeze in... When the exhaust water turns green, I shut it off. Of course you want to do this on the trailer with a hose not in the lake. Antifreeze is not something we want in our lakes and rivers...
    S&S
    Do you drain the block first, then run on anti-freeze? Or just run on antifreeze? How much anti-freeze do you add before it comes out green? 2-3 gallons or more?

Stab-n-Steer
    Moomba,
    There really isn't any reason to drain the block. I run the motor a few minutes on the hose water to purge all the lake/river water out and then add the antifreeze. For my boat, it takes less than a gallon to get the exhaust water green... The next season when I fire it up, there is never any rust or brown colored water evident... It also keeps the water pump impeller moist and lubricated... don't have any science to back this up, just what I've done for years and it seems to work.
    S&S

Railton
    Make sure the anti-freeze runs through the tranny as well.

Thunderbutt
    I use the pink stuff that is used on motorhomes it is bio-degradable and you can do it on the boat lift. After winter is over you drop in the water and go. Also put it in the trany cooler and v-drive. I was told by one of the local guys that winterizes boat that you should remove all of the water first, he didn't say why. Originally posted by Lumpy:
    Hey Guys,
    I know it is a little early to be thinking of winterizing but I have a few questions. What is the best way to remove all the water from the block, v-drive, and velvet drive transmission? Or do you run antifreeze through it? Also what is the best way to keep your carb gaskets from drying up over the winter? Starting it for a short period say once a month or so? Thanks......Lumpy

moomba
    Originally posted by Thunderbutt:
    I was told by one of the local guys that winterizes boat that you should remove all of the water first, he didn't say why.
    I heard that the anti-freeze will not mix with the water in all the palces. Depending on the thermstat open or closed, ect.

moomba
    Would the inside of the engine rust more or less if it were dry as opposed to being filled with anti-freeze? Does the water pump need to be wet? Or can it be dry for the winter?