Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do! (involved alcohol)

John.
    How many daughters do you have ultrajohn?
    zero kids for me. probably never gunna have kids either. and yeah, that probably plays into my feelings on this topic. I think it was an overreaction.

Flyinbowtie
    Alan has given you the straight scoop.
    What you have is a situation where someone in your home gave alcohol to two minors.Then, an adult relative of the minors intervened with the person who provided the alcohol, and a fight ensued.
    If a local cop comes out to write a report because the parents or uncle are desirous of a complaint, they are going to spend days interviewing the minors, you, the man who provided, (handed the kids the shots) and the two who fought, and everbody else at the party.
    The D.A. is going to look at this cluster, and going to try to determine if there is a crime here that he can convince a judge/jury to render a verdict of guilty on. The DA knows the guy who handed the kids the shots is going to want to file a battery complaint agains the uncle, and vice-versa. This is a tough case to make in a criminal court, but it sure as hell can be done, depending on lots of factors.
    Now, in a civil case, the parents of the minors, (whom it sounds like were present at the party), share some responsibility for controlling thier children. The fact that alcohol was in the house is clear, the fact that somebody not the homeowner handed it to the children is clear, and if their is civil liability here I think it could go either way, a jury may fault the guy who handed the booze as primary, the homeowner as secondary, and the parents as at fault for not exercising suprvision.
    Ideally, a group made up of somebody who can act like an adult from all involved corners, blessed with the authority to speak for their side, can sit down and talk this out, realizing that nobody really wins in these deals. Friendships have been ruined here already, the damage is done. Is it really going to serve to educate those kids and / or repair the other wounds by taking it into the legal system?
    I think not.
    However, you have to get people on a rational playing field if you hope to have them come to the same conclusion. Getting them therre might be the toughest move; I'd be on the phone to my attorney and my homeowners ins. co. ASAP to get them up to speed.

TCHB
    1. Should not have given shots (stupid)
    2. Parents over reacting
    3. Hopefully nothing else happend
    Lesson Learned
    Do not be stupid it can bite you.
    I agree with EZ that these kids are most likely allready drinking and the parents do not want to face what teen age kids can do.
    I hope it all works out.
    Legal issue- Giving a minor liquor

Sanger D
    just make sure you never ask a cop for his/hers opinion the kids parents and the kids ALREADY had a problem!!!!don't invite the drunk anymore and ALL attendants do not need to be that drunk around kids anyways...................FRICKIN MOROOOONS!!!!!

eliminated1
    JUST GOT THE CALL charges are going to be droped

That's cool, True friends can and will work this out. Without the law involved.

This type of stuff kills me. Lead by example. If you are drinking and having a good time with younger kids around they are going to think the same way drinking = fun. It was what I thought growing up. Now I have been sober for 15 years. I was a drunk due to young drinking. Kids see thing in a differant light. Mom and Dad partying looks like fun I cant wait till I can drink. Most of the time its the parents that give there kids the first drink. Now should they be charged with contributing to a minor. Same differance. Ask the parents Have they ever given the girls a drink. If they say yes then it started back then. Yes you friend was wrong. I cant see pressing charges for a jello shot.
    Im not one to say drinking is bad and dont do it but only do it when of age. I wish I could drink but I know better I cant handle my alcohol consumption. Its all or nothing. just my .02

EAZYKILLER2006
    good job... it lets ya know what kind of ppl ya dont want as friends...sue? just not right...can you imagine ppl like this on your boat? ..they get hurt and want to sue ya...:sqeyes:

good job... it lets ya know what kind of ppl ya dont want as friends...sue? just not right...can you imagine ppl like this on your boat? ..they get hurt and want to sue ya...:sqeyes:
    My thoughts exactly.

DeltaSigBoater
    Who among us on here has not contributed to the delinquency of minors? I haven't done so for a number of years now.
    But giving alcohol to 14 year olds is different than giving alcohol to 18, 19, & 20 year olds, even though both are not legally old enough to drink.
    Pressing charges on the guy who gave the girls shots is within the rights of their parents, since they girls are Juvenile Minors, not Minor Adults.
    Another thing you might what to know, if the event was at your residence, you too could be brought up on charges for furnishing alcohol to minors, even though you actually didn't give them any alcohol.
    Even though I don't have kids of my own, I think its the parents responsibility to teach their children about such matters. While remembering that kids will imitate the behavior and actions of the adults around them. If they see their parents and friends of their parents, drinking heavily, making lude comments, and acting inappropriately then itÂ’s only a matter of time before the kids start acting in that fashion too.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast