Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hippies attack Ocotillo Wells

dumbandyoung
    ARE YOU WILLING TO GIVE UP 14,731 ACRES OF OFF-ROAD RIDING AREAS FOR GEOTHERMAL POWER DEVELOPMENT?
    The San Diego Off-Road Coalition needs all off-roaders to act now. There is grave danger to one of our favorite riding areas.
    The Federal Bureau of Land Management wants to lease 14,731 acres of prime off-road land to companies to build geothermal energy plants. Over 80% of the land is inside the Ocotillo Wells SVRA. The remaining acres are just east of Pole Line road and have traditionally been enjoyed for off-roading.
    It is critical that off-road enthusiasts send their WRITTEN COMMENTS to the BLM to oppose this project.
    If you value OCOTILLO WELLS you need to take the time to mail a comment and get ALL YOUR FRIENDS to do the same.
    DO IT NOW - DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE! The San Diego Off-Road Magazine has excellent guidelines for action. Go to their Web site at for instructions. Written comments mailed have the most effect, so sit down, write and send your comments today. Written comments are being taken until April 30.
    Bureau of Land Management
    California Desert District Office
    Attn: John Dalton
    22835 Calle San Juan De Los Lagos
    woinfo@blm.gov

CARLSON-JET
    Hippies go out to the desert to cook brain cells, not develope GEOTHERMAL POWER. :hammer2: :sleeping:

RiverToysJas
    I'm sure my position on this subject won't be liked but here it goes anyway.......I don't know about the rest of you, but my home electric bill has nearly doubled over the last few months. For no other reason than it costs more now. I don't even want to think about summer, when my A/C is running! IMO, We need new power generation and new power plants bad. We are pushing the edge of what the current grid can handle.
    I love off-roading, and I love riding my bikes in the desert....but I use home electricity 24/7, and it's getting harder to write the check every month. IF they don't build it there, then where? Is there ever a good place to put a power plant of any kind? We need to the bite the bullet and just do it somewhere.
    I'm not a hippie, I'm definately not a tree hugger....and I do think we need more power being generated in California, or we're going to be in for big problems down the road - and soon. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope they keep the riding areas open while still building new power generating plants. If they pass on this one and move it somewhere else, people who go where ever that is and do what ever it is they do will be upset. All I know is we have an energy problem and need to deal with it.
    RTJas

RiverToysJas
    Oh, and just to be clear.......if they were closing it for owls, birds, turtles, mice, or flowers....I'd be the first one writing a letter.
    RTJas

riverbound
    I'm sure my position on this subject won't be liked but here it goes anyway.......I don't know about the rest of you, but my home electric bill has nearly doubled over the last few months. For no other reason than it costs more now. I don't even want to think about summer, when my A/C is running! IMO, We need new power generation and new power plants bad. We are pushing the edge of what the current grid can handle.
    I love off-roading, and I love riding my bikes in the desert....but I use home electricity 24/7, and it's getting harder to write the check every month. IF they don't build it there, then where? Is there ever a good place to put a power plant of any kind? We need to the bite the bullet and just do it somewhere.
    I'm not a hippie, I'm definately not a tree hugger....and I do think we need more power being generated in California, or we're going to be in for big problems down the road - and soon. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope they keep the riding areas open while still building new power generating plants. If they pass on this one and move it somewhere else, people who go where ever that is and do what ever it is they do will be upset. All I know is we have an energy problem and need to deal with it.
    RTJas
    What about putting them in all the areas of Glamis that have been closed down to OHVs?? There are plenty of places that we as riders are NOT allowed to acces that they could place it, why not utilize those spaces and not the limited places we have to use for recreation??

dumbandyoung
    Or they can put in along the 40. There is miles of unused desert there.
    I think they should start having multi uses for land rather than close it all off.
    I like riverboud's idea

RiverToysJas
    What about putting them in all the areas of Glamis that have been closed down to OHVs?? There are plenty of places that we as riders are NOT allowed to acces that they could place it, why not utilize those spaces and not the limited places we have to use for recreation??
    Fine with me, I don't care where they put it. They can build it in my backyard for all I care. I just know we need it. I'm sure those areas of Glamis are already closed because of some owls, birds, turtles, mice, or flowers anyway.
    Don't GEOTHERMAL POWER plants have to be placed in areas of Geothermal Activity?
    RTJas

dumbandyoung
    that would be a great question for this guy
    http://www.avonworth.k12.pa.us/spoin...BILL%20NYE.jpg

riverbound
    Fine with me, I don't care where they put it. They can build it in my backyard for all I care. I just know we need it. I'm sure those areas of Glamis are already closed because of some owls, birds, turtles, mice, or flowers anyway.
    Don't GEOTHERMAL POWER plants have to be placed in areas of Geothermal Activity?
    RTJas
    they could also put it anywhere on the way to the river...tons of unused desert out there....could give everyone something to look at on the drive out there.

THOR
    Or they can put in along the 40. There is miles of unused desert there.
    I think they should start having multi uses for land rather than close it all off.
    I like riverboud's idea
    A geothermal plant goes wherever there is a geothermal pocket. A plant is located above a thermal pocket, they drill about 2000-4000' deep, charge the hole by putting gas in the hole and it activates the molten brine that is used to in turn make energy. That is why there are many plants on the east side of the Salton Sea. Ocotillo is obviously on top of a therma pocket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast