Thread: stress cracks??

bentprops
    i was looking a av-drive boat for sale but it has alot os stress cracks where the strut where it bolt's through the hull. also in between the outer stringer along the fuel tanks. these are 4 ft long. so can this be fixed? im thinking i will have to disassemble the boat and take it in to have old inside jell removed and re done. the boat is perfect on the outside. also the boat is capped. what do you guys think?

Wrenchforce
    i was looking a av-drive boat for sale but it has alot os stress cracks where the strut where it bolt's through the hull. also in between the outer stringer along the fuel tanks. these are 4 ft long. so can this be fixed? im thinking i will have to disassemble the boat and take it in to have old inside jell removed and re done. the boat is perfect on the outside. also the boat is capped. what do you guys think?
    Hey Bent Props - seems like I keep running into you this evening . I'm assuming that you're looking at a Schiada with gel coated - open stringered setup. Cracks in the gel coal are common. Gel coat is only cosmetic and has no strength. You could get in there, grind it out, and redo the gel, but fiberglass in a boat hull will flex and gel coat will crack. Though a open stringered boat looks great with fresh gel, I would prefer it being left alone so that the fiberglass mat and resin can be inspected.
    However, stress cracks can be ground out and fixed. There was a ski racer a few years back that lost an ear on their prop during a race. Took the strut and about ripped it out of the Schiada. They were able to get her back on the trailer. Took her in, did some grinding and laying of mat and resin, some sanding, resent the strut, and was back in business. This is one of the great qualities about fiberglass.
    Hope that this helps.
    Sean

fc-pilot
    There was a ski racer a few years back that lost an ear on their prop during a race. Took the strut and about ripped it out of the Schiada. They were able to get her back on the trailer. Took her in, did some grinding and laying of mat and resin, some sanding, resent the strut, and was back in business.
    Do you remember whose boat that was? That is the story about the boat we bought a few years ago. Schiada did a nice job putting it back together. When they re-did it they also changed the strut angle. The hull has worked great for us since.
    Paul