Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pump painting?

ap67et10
    right now i have 22 different pieces at the powdercoater getting coated. its probably going to cost me in the 300ish range (don't know exact price yet) but its mainly that high cause i'm getting a 2 stage coating. base: sparkle silver Top: candy blue. the cool thing about powdercoating is typically having 1 piece done cost about the same as 20 so i decided to get a ton of stuff done and now in the end the price is WAY cheaper than all the prep time and effort in anything i could do on my own...plus the durability. if you get powder coat clear coated it makes it super resistant to fading in the sun. i'll post pics and my final price when i get the stuff back. hopefully next week.

ap67et10
    Be careful with powder coating. If the shop doing the work is clueless, they will sand blast through the hard anodizing on the pump and weaken it. Better off using the appliance paint.
    the place i went doesn't blast anything soft metal...very good thing to make sure about though.

watergun4u
    here is a pic of mine, I painted it about two years ago, and it still looks like this!, i used applaince paint, epoxy, and it bitchen!

CPBRIAN10THMTN
    All the older berkeley pumps were not powder coated, it was more of a thick epoxy paint, underneath was and old not neccessarily hard annodizing but an old sea green lead based protective coating that was real tough called "chromium" which is illegal now because of the lead. Now there is hard annodizing used and powdercoat. It won't kill it if you take off the green stuff but i would try and leave it on. I would do multiple coats.

Dominator Scott
    We just sanded the bowl smooth,primed it and then hit it with a base coat and several coats of clearwhen we painted the boat last year. No problems so far.

Dominator Scott
    Close up pic.

dumbandyoung
    IMO having it powder coated it the way to go.

atxwrangler
    appliance epoxy!

BrendellaJet
    IMO having it powder coated it the way to go.
    you're dumb and young, what would you know?

dumbandyoung
    you're dumb and young, what would you know?
    true, true lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast