Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dammit. No torque wrench. Ideas?

pw_Tony
    I had gotten this model not too long ago. Snapon ATECH2FR100.
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/51300/51264.JPG
    It does torque angle as well as regular torque, it changes scales from Nm to ftlbs at the touch of a button, has memory for when you have to torque different size bolts in sequence. Its pretty neat, as you approach your target torque or torque angle the wrench will beep and vibrate (vibrate comes in handy for a noisy shop) so that you can watch closely and hit the target torque on the money. I'm not sure on how it stays in calibration yet, haven't used it too many times, but seems to be accurate when tested against my backup Tq wrench. The Snappy Tq wrenches I've had in the past are pretty good and haven't let me down, they just don't do well after sitting in flood waters for two weeks. Thats ok though, It gave me a chance to upgrade.
    Jay
    Yea I saw that one last time I was in the thiefs truck. I think it's like over $300 isn't it?

YeLLowBoaT
    I had gotten this model not too long ago. Snapon ATECH2FR100.
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/51300/51264.JPG
    It does torque angle as well as regular torque, it changes scales from Nm to ftlbs at the touch of a button, has memory for when you have to torque different size bolts in sequence. Its pretty neat, as you approach your target torque or torque angle the wrench will beep and vibrate (vibrate comes in handy for a noisy shop) so that you can watch closely and hit the target torque on the money. I'm not sure on how it stays in calibration yet, haven't used it too many times, but seems to be accurate when tested against my backup Tq wrench. The Snappy Tq wrenches I've had in the past are pretty good and haven't let me down, they just don't do well after sitting in flood waters for two weeks. Thats ok though, It gave me a chance to upgrade.
    Jay
    great there is another 400 bucks down the drain for a new toy... I mean tool When I get too 100k, some one please kill me.( I'm about a 3rd of the way there)

Hallett19
    I usually take the handle off my floor jack, slide it in on the end of a ratchet and when the bolt wont turn anymore I make 2 loud "CLICK CLICK" sounds.... always works for me.

shirkey4750
    Have had my Snap-On digital for about 5 years, have it calibrated every year when the rest of the plants torque wrenchs are calibrated, it has always been dead on.

Torque wrenches

Just a bit of my opinion on torque wrenches: I have been calibrating and repairing them for 25 years, and this is what I've found. Mountz and Tohnichi are both very good, but very pricey. Snap On used to be good, but since they bought CDI, the quality is very poor. The original company that made them is Precision Instruments. They are still in business and make good wrenches. Proto was good until Stanley bought them up, and now they suck. As far as Craftsman, good wrenches, by far the most repeatable I've found. Utica was ok, but they got bought by Cooper and now they suck too. Sturtevant Richmont were alright, but haven't seen much of them lately. My favorite to calibrate now days are Armstrong. But, the most important thing is to adjust it to the lowest setting after every use. I own a Craftsman that is 20 plus years old and I have yet to adjust the calibration of it. It gets used on a monthly basis and has never gone out of cal. I usually check it every couple of years and it is spot on. Any questions, just let me know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12