Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Small block or Big block

wsuwrhr
    Ok then,
    I am looking for a bare bones boat. A floater if you will. No power for sure. Intake and pump set, I don't need the billet pump setup. Just a regular Legend or Berk split bowl. This will just be an avarage lake boat. Whatever bottom you recommend, no teflon keel or the fancy jizz.
    I'll do my own interior, motor installation and final rigging. All I am looking for is the basic setup, the critical rigging(pump, intake, transom adapter, steering), and I will finish it off the rest.
    Or to make it real simple, a price for a bare bones hull with a pump installed.
    Brian
    Ill answer here, nothing to hide.
    Weights are very hard to quote for a few reasons.
    Typically our "go fast boats" are far from 'standard'
    Do you want a tunnel, a sport? QT keel? plastic bow? There are a ton of options that make almost every boat we build different. Also remember our race boats have the weight of all the safety gear, roll bars etc. I think you'd be surprised how little weight difference there is from race to pleasure. Its also more than just weight its bottom design, intake etc etc
    If you can narrow it down I'd be happy to find out for you or even send you our build sheets with options and pricing for a given hull. They aren't cheap but they perform very well, last and hold value extremely well. Try to find an available used one!
    I don't want to hijack the thread into a sales pitch, my point is only that SB's can definatly work in jetboats and offer great perfomance and affordability. We obviously build BB powered boats too, often. But if you pay attention to setup SB's work very well too. Like I said above our ZZ4 boat was not even turning 5K
    For general comparison a turn key lightweight FX boat like the red/yellow boat shown with a ZZ4 on a trailer is about $56K cnd (~$50K usd) thats with canards and ballast tank(canards got ripped off in a class 4 rapid in that race hehe) That includes all the race gear, seats, harnesses, cage etc
    Cheers

Xerophobic
    PM sent
    intake is always included with the boat(and any quoted weights) as its welded in and fabricated by us.
    The only bare hulls we sell are the 21 tunnel and the odd Steptec sport boat. We take pride in our product and in the past bare hulls have been very poorly rigged and released on the used market making us look like very poor riggers. For this reason we no longer sell anything "bare" other than our race boats which obviously are frequently rigged by the racers. I just wanted to clarify that.
    It likely won't affect you guys as I am certain most of you are interested in our tunnel anyway. The boat you see is the boat we build, its not "special" in any way other than its very good. We do not have a "race" version and a "pleasure" version of this hull. Sure we may weld the odd bracket in here and there if we know you want to bolt a floor in for example but there is nothing else "custom" or "trick" in the raceboat thats not in the pleasure boat
    Cheers
    p.s. A bare 21 tunnel is $13500 cnd (~$12050 usd) lightweight version slightly more( all include intake, race grate and billet rear ramp)

QuickJet
    Ever think the problem in your example may be with the "Bahner" and not the rest of the package??
    Sorry, but those aluminum boats arent that pretty. I'd take a bubble deck Sanger, Bahner, Eliminator or CP over those aluminum boats. People don't run those here in the states for many reasons. 1 being that they arent that easy on the eyes.
    If I wanted to go fast with a small block I'd put it in a v-drive and forget the jet altogether.
    The question wasn't what engine will push XXX hull better the question was SB vs BB and nothing more. You don't like SB's thats fine I don't have an issue with that. I do contest the blanket statement that SB's don't work in jetboats.
    I never said I didn't like small blocks, I said that they don't work in jet boats.
    You will get more reliable HP and Torque out of the big block than that of the small block. Jet's require torque down low which is what a BB delivers. No one cares about a $56,000 aluminum boat with a small block in it. For that money you could go alot faster with a BB and look bettter doing it at the same time.

pw_Tony
    I'm not as interested in top speed when it comes to BB v. SB. Those tin boats might do 80 mph with a small block but what kind of 1/4 mile times do they make?

superdave013
    I run a worn out 327 SBC in my 18' jet, full interior, 2 people and 30 gallons of petro and it runs right around 60mph....:idea:
    I had a boat about like yours. It was a 16' Tahiti. It had a 327 in it when we bought it. It ran really well, prolly about the same as yours. Then it got a 406 @ 13:1 and F'in haulled azz. It would bow steer like a bitch though. But it was fun to spank people with it and they come over to see a SBC with a single carb. My friend still has it. It now has a 427" stroked SBC @ 9.5:1. Runs good on pump gas.

Xerophobic
    QJ this will be my last post directed at you. Im agreeing to dissagree with you.
    Im am by no means saying BB's don't work. We use and rig boats with them all the time, lots of guys race them, obviously they have their place.
    My point is small blocks can and DO work in jetboats and we see many an example of that all the time. That was the point of this thread. Not what boat will x motor work in better or what hull will look better with a smallblock or big block in it. Ive said it 4 times that FX boat is running LESS than 5K rpm and its BONE stock with many many hours at WOT. Its far from a "babied" boat. the Canadian race association has been so impressed with how well ZZ4's last in WOT race use they have made them the ONLY motor allowed in FX class at this years worlds. Its a very affordable and reliable jetboat motor. I personally wouldn't hesitate for 1 minute to use one, well if I wasn't a Ford guy that is
    I understand you don't like tin boats, small block jetboats or Canada for that matter, just don't mislead the guy asking the question because of it!
    Cheers
    (where in the hell is Jungle boy in this discussion! LOL)
    p.s. pic for WSU, 19 foot sport high window(Jungle boys boat) Dave will tell ya how good an all around boat this is, 80+, no problems getting on step, can run the skinny stuff when it has to, clip gravel here and there and yes you guessed it a SB
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../19sportHW.JPG

ck7684
    Arent a lot of these small block powered??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31MG0lW3uQA

71tahiti
    If he is talking about a Sidewinder hull, Then a BB is the only way to go. That hull is much heavier than the "surfboards" you guys are talking about. I have a BB Olds in mine and I cant imagine having less cubic inches.
    Im with 396, NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.

71tahiti
    TEST POST... Padding posts........

QuickJet
    Let's go back to the initial question (before it was turned into a Canadian infomercial)
    Which is better?
    What do you run?
    Big blocks are better. More torque, more room for reliable power, resale value and speed. I run a 505.
    My point is small blocks can and DO work in jetboats and we see many an example of that all the time.
    No, they work in YOUR type of jet boat. One of which the guy who asked the question doesn't own. So since he asked the question, the answer should be directed to what "FITS HIS NEEDS", not the needs of your buisiness or the exploitation thereof.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast