Thread: Gear oil at bottom of bildge..

dkehzrd
    Just had my bravo 1x serviced at abosolute. I opened up the hatch at the end of the day and i had gear lube in the bildge on the backside of the transom. Maybe 3oz's worth. I also noticed that the reserve tank was completely full to the top. It was at the corret level at the beggining of the day. Any thoughts on whats wrong?

pocketchange 22
    Gear oil may have been slightly overfull and expanded ?? :idea: just my .02.

BDMar
    If the level was correct at the beginning of the day, it could be caused by the gear lube getting hot. A bearing or gear beginninng to fail will cause this. Not saying you have this problem, just one possibility. The other is maybe they spilled a little topping off the reservoir and it took a while to get down to the bilge.

dkehzrd
    If the level was correct at the beginning of the day, it could be caused by the gear lube getting hot. A bearing or gear beginninng to fail will cause this. Not saying you have this problem, just one possibility. The other is maybe they spilled a little topping off the reservoir and it took a while to get down to the bilge.
    The oil was located directly under where the outdrive bolts to the transom. I talked to abosolute and they think either a bad seal that caused the oil line to pressurize or what you said, it got really hot.

BDMar
    Guessing u-joint seal

watergun4u
    There Is A Hose That Goes From The Resiovor To The Back Of The Transom, And Clips To A Fitting On That Come Throught The Back Of The Boat That Is Mounted To The Gimbal Housing, Look At The Back Of The Transom Area And Wipe The Oil That Is Ther And See If It Is Leaking From The Connection, I Have Seen That Alot, And It's Some What A Easy Fix!:d :d :d :d

dkehzrd
    I actually had it fixed two weeks ago. B&D was right. I had an upper gear set go out and it was creating excessive heat. Im kinda pissed i went through a gear set in 57 hours on the boat. Its two months out of warranty and mercury won't even help with the cost of new parts......