Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clearancing Impeller

Taylorman
    I just put a new impeller and inducer in my boat. What a pain in the a** it is to get a feeler gauge in there to clearance front of impeller with an inducer in the way. I tightened up my clearance to .030 after running it one time. I set it at.035 for the first time cause i wanted to make sure my impeller did not hit the wear ring cause i did not change my bearing. No contact so i took .005 clearance out.

HammerDown
    Another way, take some 1" pieces of thin gauge lead solder and stick it to the inside of the Wear ring/lip in a cross section. Install Impeller, nut, Torque and don't forget to install the Bowl. Then pull it apart and measure/mic how much the Lead compressed...there's your measurement.
    Keep in mind, if the (new) Impeller has not been trued/zeroed out on the Shaft in use, it could be out by several thousands!

RICHARD TILL
    if you`ll never start the motor on the trailer set it to .010 and throw the inducer away. with close tolerances it wont help your hole shot and will slow your top end speed down. i tried them on a 10 and a 11 sec. bracket boat and lost 3 mph on both. was running B SS impellers. i`m not guessing at this. i proved it by the clock at two different associations. i think the inducer is snake oil. maybe they work for other people but not me.

IMPATIENT 1
    Shaft in use, it could be out by several thousands!
    very true! i put a "good" impellor i had on my shaft, stuck it in my uncle's lathe and it wobbled like crazy on the wearsurfaces, we trued it up but i stuck it back under my work bench for a spare(its gonna need a different ring now too), then ordered a new atj impellor and ring to match.i stuck it on the lathe and its spun soooooo purdy

Taylorman
    Another way, take some 1" pieces of thin gauge lead solder and stick it to the inside of the Wear ring/lip in a cross section. Install Impeller, nut, Torque and don't forget to install the Bowl. Then pull it apart and measure/mic how much the Lead compressed...there's your measurement.
    Keep in mind, if the (new) Impeller has not been trued/zeroed out on the Shaft in use, it could be out by several thousands!
    Why install the bowl?

IMPATIENT 1
    Why install the bowl?
    you can't measure the proper clearence till the shaft is centered up in the bowl which in turn should make the clearenece the same all the way around the impellor to ring shoulder clearence the same

IMPATIENT 1
    kevin, just stick 4 bolts in the bowl opposite from each other, tighten em up good then measure clearence

Taylorman
    That makes sense. Crap i may have to pull it apart again.

HammerDown
    Why install the bowl?
    The Bowl supports the rear of the shaft. And as mentioned only 4-bolts in a cross section are needed for the setup/test.

IMPATIENT 1
    That makes sense. Crap i may have to pull it apart again.
    pull the inspection plate and check it i like 25 between the 2, but that's real tight on a used thrust bearing.did you change it out recently(bearing)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast