Thread: dry sump questions

superdave013
    Do I need a special pan to run a dry sump or can I use a standard dry sump pan.
    Pretty much what I need to know is if I need a backwards pan. I woundn't think so as the standard ones have 3 pick up points all along one side.
    Who's the v drive dry sump guru around these parts?
    [ October 17, 2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

LeE ss13
    Call Tom Label Auto Marine Engineering Glendora, 818 335-1315.

PGF545
    Dave, we had Stef's build us one...he took a Pro Stock pan and turned it around so that the fittings and sump would be towards the back of the boat, front of motor. I think that we still have the pan off Tony's motor that he sold to Keith Z. If you want I will find out more about it.
    Bernie

Fiat48
    I just used a standard dry sump pan. It picks up front and rear anyway and theres no real sump. I think what you're paying for with custom made pans is windage and scraping off oil. I just wanted reliable oiling so a basic dry sump pan worked for me. I will tell you one thing. Once you dry sump, you'll never go back to wet sump. And no more watching the oil pressure gauge dive when you get out of it. Pricey tho.

Infomaniac
    The pan is just the scavenge.
    The pump pick-up will be the tank.
    Wet sump external pump is the next best thing.
    [ October 17, 2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Chief 2 Wings
    Who wants to Dry Hump anyway? eek! burningm

Chief 2 Wings
    [ October 18, 2003, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Chief 2 Wings ]

Lookin for Liquid
    Dave...The only reason that we ran a marine pan for dry sump was that the pan is deeper at the rear (motor front) and keeps the scavenging of oil away from the crank under acceleration.

UBFJ #454
    On our big motor we're running a six stage ,28mm Auto Verdi dry sump pump with a pan that we designed and had Stef's fabricate. While the Auto Verdi is expensive, it is far superior to any other's pumps of other manufacturers: Note that NASCAR switched to them in 2002. The Auto's are manufactured in Sweden and distributed here in the U.S. by Jarmon, in Costa Mesa.
    Note that we are running a jet so our pan plans wouldn't work for you ... otherwise I'd post them. Also with the number of pickups on the bottom of the pan and the vacuum we run on the pump we don't have to worry about oil "sloshing" during accelertion or decelertion.