Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high speed vibration

bakerjet
    when i get up passed 3800 or so rpm's i start to get a vibration thru the boat i pulled the driveline to check the u-joints and they feel real smooth however the front one has a very slight tick side to side no noise at idle or anything to point towards a thrust bearing i had the pump rebuilt a couple yrs. ago but used the same ujoints are they suppost to be dead nuts tight with zero slack in any way?? or...do i need to dig deeper and pull the shaft and see if its bent ive jumped it outa the budlightwater a few times. i know its a stupid question without laying your hands on it but what are your thoughts?:idea:

Nucking futs
    Maybe check your loader, grate or whatever you run in the intake. If its loose it will do weird things like that.

bakerjet
    the loader is tight but thanks

sleekvino
    the loader is tight but thanks
    what type of loader? rock grate ?angle iron?top loader?if you have a rock grate get rid of it .you are not loading the pump would be my frist guess.

GUGS102
    You should not have any "Slop" in the u-joints. They should move freely but should not be sloppy. That would be my first guess. Second, see if you pulled anything into the pump (bowl) side.
    Cavitation will cause a shake. Is this a new thing or has it always done it?
    The rock grate will work fine for most applications under 8o MPH. Mine will only cavitate in rough water if I stand on it for more than 60 seconds. If the h2o will be choppy, I run the loader with about 4" cut off it.
    Gugs

bp
    you could have something stuck in the pump. if you have a shoe/plate, the plate could be loose. i picked up a pretty good vibration once, when the plate/bowl cradle bolt stripped itself. couldn't really tell until i pulled on it. anything in the water back there can begin to oscillate if it's not tight, which you'll feel.

bakerjet
    no rock grate, top loader and its tight nothing in the pump that i can see in or out pulled the starter and its kinda chewed on a little it may have hung up its a prestolite top mount $$$ anybody got one besides cpperformance??

DirtySquirty
    Do you have a turning fin?? I have heard of boats making noise/vibration from the fin.

Konabud
    no rock grate, top loader and its tight nothing in the pump that i can see in or out pulled the starter and its kinda chewed on a little it may have hung up its a prestolite top mount $$$ anybody got one besides cpperformance??
    They're not cheap either but I was able to use one of these on a 460 / Harman top mount application (bolted right on) it was new and less than the rebuilt presto. Been working great!
    http://www.hitorque.com/
    Click the marine page

BLOWN JOB
    Have You Ran It With Out The Pump An Check For Fib Thats Were I Would Start

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast