Thread: intake to suction housing alignment

Cas
    I was under the boat last night to put the loader back in and noticed the alignment on the intake to suction housing is off by about 1/8". It feels like the suction housing is "moved back" so there is a little ledge on the front side where the water will hit it as it enters the pump.
    What is acceptable? If it needs to be matched near perfect and it's not, what will it cause? Cavitation?

460 jus getn it
    I was under the boat last night to put the loader back in and noticed the alignment on the intake to suction housing is off by about 1/8". It feels like the suction housing is "moved back" so there is a little ledge on the front side where the water will hit it as it enters the pump.
    What is acceptable? If it needs to be matched near perfect and it's not, what will it cause? Cavitation?Mine was off to and was the cause of my rideplate and craddle being off. I adjusted and just because went back and made the edges even from the housing and the intake.

GUGS102
    Get it lined up as close as possible and match the intake to the suction housing. Any bumps in the inlet can cause cavitation and bubbles.
    Gugs

hang tight
    What is acceptable? If it needs to be matched near perfect and it's not, what will it cause? Cavitation?
    1/8" isn't to bad if it's not a race boat. but you can always get some seagoing putty or dura glass to match the edges and make it smooth. but I wouldn't worry. If your getting cavitation you might have another problem.

Cas
    definitely not a race boat but I do want it to be as efficient as possible for a 70+ boat. I was thinking about doing the epoxy thing and then feathering it all in. I do know I don't want to be taking that much material off to blend it that way. Thing is, it's a bit worse in the corners.....I think I'll take it out to get some initial numbers before doing the blend to see if it really matters all that much.

hang tight
    definitely not a race boat but I do want it to be as efficient as possible for a 70+ boat. I was thinking about doing the epoxy thing and then feathering it all in. I do know I don't want to be taking that much material off to blend it that way. Thing is, it's a bit worse in the corners.....I think I'll take it out to get some initial numbers before doing the blend to see if it really matters all that much.
    think thats a good idea

TIMINATOR
    Epoxy will fall out, and soon! We weld/grind them as required. At 70 mph you probably won't see much gain(mebbie 1 mph), at 90 several mph are possible depending on the amount of mismatch and the direction of it and where it is in relation to the water flow. TIMINATOR

SD Beach
    Epoxy will fall out, and soon! We weld/grind them as required. At 70 mph you probably won't see much gain(mebbie 1 mph), at 90 several mph are possible depending on the amount of mismatch and the direction of it and where it is in relation to the water flow. TIMINATOR
    Epoxy 3 yrs and holding. prep is important