Thread: Paging V-Drive Video-circle plate question

ss wannabe
    Jerry -
    I'm playing around a bit with the cav plate setup on the boat, and saw in an old thread that you had some knowledge of a circle-boat style plate setup, which is clearly different from what most of they guys out there are doing (lots of drag boats). The boat runs OK with the plate set straight off the back of the boat, but it would be nice to get more stability with the nose in the air (but only a little bit!) I would think K-boats and SS-boats have different setups, and I'm after an SS-type lighter running setup. I've tried an arch across each side, and it helps get the air out from under it, but that seems to sink the nose too. Do I need to come up with the center too? Thanks for whatever help you can give me. I hope all is well!

LeE ss13
    What is the measurement from the back center of the prop to the end of the plate? If you can run with the plate neutral, (level), and feels nose down a bit, sounds like it's under 28". If you have enough room between the prop and the strut, move the propshaft forward 2 nickels thickness. Raising the center can give up stability. What kind of RPM and what gear are you running?

Moneypitt
    Port side outer, 5/8. both inners 5/16. starboard outer 3/8. Never ran any gull or arc, just straight, side to side. This set up worked well on a PS boat....At least a place to start. .Moneypitt

LeE ss13
    I agree with MoneyP. I've tried that gull wing (arc) on a D'Cucci, a Daytona, and a Biesemeyer and did not like the handling. I'll run about the same setup as him but with smaller numbers. I'll use about 3/16" on the centers. I like to adjust for the best handling in the worst water. My $.02.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Hey Brian,
    There are lots of different theories on this subject. My humble advise would be to contact the best race team in the business and get thier advise. The set-up we use on the straked bottom Hondos will not help you.
    I'll p.m. you a name and number of someone to call. Hope this helps.

ss wannabe
    Thanks, all, for the help. I'm hearing the prop is not where it needs to be on my boat. I'm about 2.75" between back of strut and front of prop, and about 26.5" from back of prop to end of plate. Prop shaft sounds like it's too long. Thoughts?
    Billy, V-Drive - thanks for the P.M.'s

CircleJerk
    Get that Hughes to Moses Lake and have the sprint boat experts set the plate for you or follow their instructions. George Nordling sets them for anyone who asks. You dont have to race if you dont want to so its a minor gas bill for 250 miles of towing! Or contact him in Oregon City! Pm me for his number if interested. smile_sp