Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $330 to pull drive & nothing wrong???

TCHB
    1.exaust flappers ( sound can travel through the drive)

Pussywhippled
    Let me get this straight...
    You had some work done on your boat and it was $370.00.
    Whether it fixed the problem or not consider yourself lucky that someone even looked at it this time of year for $370.00.
    Most people wont get off their ass now a days for that kind of money.
    It's a boat right?
    Anytime I have anything done it's a $1000.00 minimum, I just plan for that and if it's lower well then I got the "deal of the day"...

cfm
    I'd expect the mechanics would of checked that but I really don't know about the guy I took it to. I'm glad I was there when he was adding the redline oil to the drive because I actually watched him climb into the motor compartment and pour REdline gear oil into my POWERSTEERING resivore. I had to show him where the drive oil container was....behind the motor on a 525. He felt like an ass and had to pump out and refill the powersteering. WOW
    This is what you are paying $100 an hr for ? Are you serious ? And you expect him to find an odd noise ?
    You wouldn't happen to have a factory Y pipe still in use would you ? I know...rare on a 525, but I've heard of a few with silent choice or quick'n quiet. The Y pipes have a flapper (noisy too) down at the transom assembly.
    Either way, if the dude doesn't know where to fill your drive reservoir he definately doesn't know how to diagnose an XR drive noise.

Beer-30
    Mine had a nasty rattle at idle. In gear, out of gear, it would change but was there with both. I had him knock off an extra $500 in case it was the drive.
    After purchase, I reached in and flipped one of the flappers around. It made a similar noise. It has the rubber flappers on the end, so I just took a long chisel and knocked the metal ones out. Problem solved.
    It did sound like the drive, initially.

2forcefull
    Mine had a nasty rattle at idle. In gear, out of gear, it would change but was there with both. I had him knock off an extra $500 in case it was the drive.
    After purchase, I reached in and flipped one of the flappers around. It made a similar noise. It has the rubber flappers on the end, so I just took a long chisel and knocked the metal ones out. Problem solved.
    It did sound like the drive, initially.
    so did you send back the 500. in cash or wire transfer?

BDMar
    An XR WILL NOT make a "rattling clacking" noise when assembled properly. They are more noisy than a standard Bravo I, but not rattling or clacking. Also a drive should never be shifted into gear on the trailer with the prop on. Does it make the noise when it is in the water and there is a load against the prop? Does it make the noise on the trailer without the prop on?
    My first guess was also internal exhaust flappers. If it's not, then take it to a ceritified Mercruiser shop and let them find the problem.

Beer-30
    so did you send back the 500. in cash or wire transfer?
    Um. No.

FilthyHaBIT
    An XR WILL NOT make a "rattling clacking" noise when assembled properly. They are more noisy than a standard Bravo I, but not rattling or clacking. Also a drive should never be shifted into gear on the trailer with the prop on. Does it make the noise when it is in the water and there is a load against the prop? Does it make the noise on the trailer without the prop on?
    My first guess was also internal exhaust flappers. If it's not, then take it to a ceritified Mercruiser shop and let them find the problem.
    The boat is always run in the water....Maybe trailered once a year therefore I'm limited to Marine shops located on the lake. No exhaust flappers.....boat has two gatlin mufflers with exhaust ported out the SIDES of the hull. That makes it much quieter down buy the drive so you can really tell where the sound is comin from .It does make noise in the water with a load but seems to go away when engine hits around 1500rpm..

cam-shaft
    The rattling you are hearing sounds like the shifting fork from the clutch assembly. This is because there is no load on the gears and is completly normal on the trailer. If you rev the engine and touch the side of the top box you can feel the rattle. Best check is look at magnet on drive vent plug. Thanks, Cam-shaft.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12