Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Compression on pump gas???

Hotcrusader76
    Ok here it is:
    I am doing some good research here on running a high compression motor, almost to the point of having to run straight Race fuel.
    But by adding Aluminum heads, coated pistons, and coated skirts and rods...this enables me to run the 92 stuff....cool!
    So where does all this extra heat go? I know the energy is transfered into Kinetic energy, but where is the bleed off....Exhuast valves???? Headers?????
    See what I am getting at...

Hotcrusader76
    The motor idea:
    540ci with aluminum heads, CNC cut, NOS fogger, (carbs and intake TBD) Enough RPM to avoid running a dry sump system....Say 700HP or so off the bottle
    [ September 03, 2002, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

HM
    For one thing, the aluminum heads conduct heat better allowing the water to transfer the heat away faster - that is the most significant heat reduction for the items you listed.
    Hey, I need to spruce up my dual Holley 4150 750 dp's! I hear you do nice carb work, especially making them look nice. Mine need help in the looks dept! Should I call you or ??

Hotcrusader76
    HolyMoly:
    For one thing, the aluminum heads conduct heat better allowing the water to transfer the heat away faster - that is the most significant heat reduction for the items you listed.
    Hey, I need to spruce up my dual Holley 4150 750 dp's! I hear you do nice carb work, especially making them look nice. Mine need help in the looks dept! Should I call you or ??First off....Aluminum does not conduct heat good at all! It takes more energy to heat up aluminum then it does Iron. Therefore the Iron gets hotter faster and easier. This is why Aluminum heads work great for high compression motors, in regards to detonation.
    I can work those carbs over when your ready. Send me an email with your phone number and a time to call you. Its easier for me to reach you from 2-4:30PM Pacific time. Otherwise just leave me a message.
    Thanks
    -Ty

HM
    Hey Ty,
    I will call you later this week regarding my carbs.
    I think you are confusing the ability to transfer heat with abilty to hold heat. Easy example - aluminium fins are used widely to remove heat.
    Iron is prefered by chefs because iron pots and pans holds heat well and distributes heat evenly within itself.
    I will have to pull out my old thermal dynamic books to look up thermal capacities, conduction, and other technical mumbo jumbo.

flat broke
    Ty,
    You might want to listen to Holy Moly on the transfer of heat vs the ability to retain heat. I don't know of many iron oil coolers or radiators. Second, you know it's not good to argue with the customers
    Chris

Hotcrusader76
    flat broke:
    Ty,
    You might want to listen to Holy Moly on the transfer of heat vs the ability to retain heat. I don't know of many iron oil coolers or radiators. Second, you know it's not good to argue with the customers
    ChrisYou are all correct on that. I was answering that comment with half of the explanation. My apologies!
    But the point still stands...LOL...Aluminum is a better, cooler platform for high compression motors...no?

Boater Bill
    May I also suggest to do some more research on the coatings of bearing surfaces and pistons.
    I asked a lot of questions re coatings during my last rebuild and kinda came to the conclusion based on the info that it was great for race engines that go through periodic refreshing and would reap benefits on said engine(s) but the coatings do wear away and not worth it in the long run (long run hopefully ). Just my $.02

Hotcrusader76
    Boater Bill:
    May I also suggest to do some more research on the coatings of bearing surfaces and pistons.
    I asked a lot of questions re coatings during my last rebuild and kinda came to the conclusion based on the info that it was great for race engines that go through periodic refreshing and would reap benefits on said engine(s) but the coatings do wear away and not worth it in the long run (long run hopefully ). Just my $.02Good point....plus motors that see 800+ on a norm aren't kept in their cradles for an entire season of pounding....at least I would presume.
    Off to calculus and trig men....Wish me luck!

74Campbell
    Hotcrusader76:
    The motor idea:
    540ci with aluminum heads, CNC cut, NOS fogger, (carbs and intake TBD) Enough RPM to avoid running a dry sump system....Say 700HP or so off the bottle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast