Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got towed in yesterday, any ideas?

kingbrutis
    Ran the boat for about 3 hours. Ran great. I had my 2 year old in the boat so we were cruising around 30-35mph. We have a 4.3 volvo vortech and a jet drive with place diverter. Motor is a 97 with 178 hours. Running good, got off the throttle for a no wake zone and it died. Tried to restart is sevral times. It would start but not keep running. I pulled the water fuel seperator, emptied it. Didnt look like any if much water. Reinstalled it. Same thing. Would crank over and start, then die. Pulled the flamer arestor (I think thats what it is called) off the carb, to see if anything was stuck. Not that I could see. When we did try it again, looked like a little puff of smoke out of one of the sides on the carb. Any help, please? Thanks Joe

YeLLowBoaT
    are you getting spark and are you getting fuel?

Beer-30
    are you getting spark and are you getting fuel?
    Exactly.
    You know it is getting air, so there are two remaining necessities.
    If you spray starter fluid or pour some gas in the TB, does it start? That would mean it has spark and is not getting fuel. Did the fuel filter refill after you put it back on?
    If you do the same and it doesn't light off, you are missing the spark part.
    Sounds like fuel pump, is my initial response. Sounds like the typical GM pickup/SUV syndrome of running fine and suddenly dead. 99% of the time it is the original fuel pump that gives up.

centerhill condor
    old gas, clogged fuel filter, winter gas in 90'F heat will lead to vapor lock, those are my favs...also, adequate fuel tank venting.
    I doubt you have an ignition problem.

Beer-30
    old gas, clogged fuel filter, winter gas in 90'F heat will lead to vapor lock, those are my favs...also, adequate fuel tank venting.
    I doubt you have an ignition problem.
    With EFI, vapor lock would be non-existent.

kingbrutis
    Took the water fuel seperator back off. It has plenty of gas in it. Looks like gas is squirting into the carb. Like I said it will start for a second or two, then just die. The previous owner had a new set of plugs in a small box. Dont know if that really means anything. Took the vent cap off (side of the boat). Looks clean. Havnt tried to start it yet. Just trying to give you all the info I can. Not too much of a mechanic, unless it on a jap bike. The boat did sit for a year before I bought it, but already went threw a tank of gas and added octaine booster. Thanks Joe

Moneypitt
    Is there an ignition circuit breaker? Sounds like its firing off the starter solinoid, then no power in the "run" position. Try putting 12 v to the coil + side and crank it...........If it runs, then pull the wire off and search for the fuse/breaker that has failed............MP

kingbrutis
    Thanks, will try. JoeIs there an ignition circuit breaker? Sounds like its firing off the starter solinoid, then no power in the "run" position. Try putting 12 v to the coil + side and crank it...........If it runs, then pull the wire off and search for the fuse/breaker that has failed............MP

Beer-30
    It's a Vortec with a CARB? I have never seen any (stock) Vortecs with carburetors.

kingbrutis
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/kingbrutis/scarabmotor2.jpgIt's hard to see, but if you look past the red oil cap, it says Vortec. The motor looks completley stock. Thanks JoeIt's a Vortec with a CARB? I have never seen any (stock) Vortecs with carburetors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast