Thread: Toyota gurus- Will not start

Slacker
    MY future father in law has a 85 toyota 4wd pickup with roughly 177,000 miles. He was driving down the road when it shut off and would not start. It will turn over but not start,the battery has at least 12 volts and is getting lots of fuel ( he checked by putting the hose into a bucket). He said that when you hold the spark plug off to the side it is not throwing out a spark. Basically he has replaced the cap, rotor (it is turning),wires, distributer modulator, and ignition box. If i remember correctly that should be everything . Would a broken or worn timing chain be the cause, he has already replaced this at 100k. Any input would be greatly apprecitated as always. Thanks..... Chris

GofastRacer
    Follow the wire from the center of the cap to the fender well where it's connected to, that's the culprit, mine lasted 250,000 miles!...

Klinger
    Its Called An Igniter. It Sits Piggyback On The Coil And Most People Assume Its The Coil When Its An Igniter. Its A Dealer Only Item And Runs About $400 Bucks. I've Been With Toyota For 6 Years And Sounds Like The Problem To Me. Pretty Common For These Trucks. The Part # On It Should Start With 89620-*****. Try Checking That And I Bet That Will Be Your Problem
    Mike

centerhill condor
    Let him fix it! for crying out loud its an '85!

cfm
    YUp, ignitiers very common but also a very expensive guess. I also vaguely remember a few of these old trucks having a relay problem too. Look in the fuse box underhood and pull each relay one at a time and smell it. If foul smelling it's toast. If no smell put it back and test the next one this way.
    If my info is off on this relay thing then it's some other Toyota that did this, I'm sorry. Been a handful of years since I ran a Toyota shop.

rivercrazy
    Check the gear driving the distributor rotor

GofastRacer
    Its Called An Igniter. It Sits Piggyback On The Coil And Most People Assume Its The Coil When Its An Igniter. Its A Dealer Only Item And Runs About $400 Bucks. I've Been With Toyota For 6 Years And Sounds Like The Problem To Me. Pretty Common For These Trucks. The Part # On It Should Start With 89620-*****. Try Checking That And I Bet That Will Be Your Problem
    Mike
    Yep that's what it is coudn't think of the name, got mine for $300 three years ago, original one lasted 18 yrs so it shoud be good for another 18 I hope!..

Slacker
    Thanks guys, i will pass this on to him as i am sure he will appreciate it.