Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 283 Build up

Speedin' Ian
    As some of you know I recently purchased a 63 Nova which came with a 283 . This weekend I am tearing down the motor so I can take everything to the machine shop. After I get the block, crank and rods back I will begin the build up. I have no experience with small block chevys, or naturally aspirated motors so I'm counting on you guys for some good advice. This must be a pump gas motor.
    So lets hear it... What type of cam, heads, carb, cmpresioon, exhaust, ignition, etc...

Ian,
    If it is the original engine for the car then my advice would be to soak it in WD40 and put in a plastic bag under the work bench. With what some of these cars are selling for at auction you would be better to buy a junk yard 350 and hop it up and save the 283.

Speedin' Ian
    This motor did not originally come out of this car, I believe it came out of an old Impalla wagon

BrendellaJet
    The motor could be worth more to someone else is what he is saying. Check out the crank on that 283. You can fit a small journal 327 crank in them to make a 302. Not the same "302" that came in the Camaro's but a 302 nonetheless. Nice little high rpm motor if you decide to use it. In that car with a 5speed you could have some fun...

Speedin' Ian
    I have no problem building another motor, if this 283 is worth something. I am tearing down the motor this weekend and I will post the numbers I find. That said lets talk parts and set-ups.
    What type of heads, cam, intake, compression, etc... This will be my first sbc build up and I would like to get 320hp or more on pump gas

BrendellaJet
    Are you opposed to buying a crate motor? those things are so cheap now that its tough to justify the cost to build your own motor when you could just go get one from the GM dealer. For a simple 320 hp motor you could find a couple different motors that fit your criteria and could end up with more power than you wanted.

LeE ss13
    The motor could be worth more to someone else is what he is saying. Check out the crank on that 283. You can fit a small journal 327 crank in them to make a 302. Not the same "302" that came in the Camaro's but a 302 nonetheless. Nice little high rpm motor if you decide to use it. In that car with a 5speed you could have some fun...
    I believe a 3.25" 327 crank in a standard bore 283 is a 307. If you can bore it .125" over, it will be a 327 with the 3.25 crank. The V8 first appeared in the Chevy II in 1964. In 1966 you could get a 350 HP 327 in one. That car weighed in at 2985 lbs with the spare tire in it. It held the A Stock record at the drags for a few years.

wsuwrhr
    Chevy motors are so cheap, why would you bother building a 283 when a 350 will fit in the same spot the same way.
    Find a buildable 350 core motor and sell off or save the 283.
    Weight/cost difference is negligible. Depending on the year 350 you get(no centerbolt heads) alot of parts are common too, distributor, oil pan, valve covers.
    Better yet, you can probably find a reputable guy selling off a project for pennies on the dollar.
    Seriously.
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    ....or there is always that. Crate motor basically ready to run and with a warrantee.
    Brian
    Are you opposed to buying a crate motor? those things are so cheap now that its tough to justify the cost to build your own motor when you could just go get one from the GM dealer. For a simple 320 hp motor you could find a couple different motors that fit your criteria and could end up with more power than you wanted.

BrendellaJet
    I believe a 3.25" 327 crank in a standard bore 283 is a 307. If you can bore it .125" over, it will be a 327 with the 3.25 crank. The V8 first appeared in the Chevy II in 1964. In 1966 you could get a 350 HP 327 in one. That car weighed in at 2985 lbs with the spare tire in it. It held the A Stock record at the drags for a few years.
    Ahh right you are. I had that confused with a 283 crank in a small journal 327 block, which for all intents is the same configuration as the DZ302's...less the DZ block of course...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast