Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 283 Build up

BrendellaJet
    Speedin-check out the ZZ4 crate motor. For less than 4 grand(advertised on the net) you get aluminum headed 355hp small block. You could spend more building your own, but why?

Speedin' Ian
    I'm not opposed to a crate motor but I think it would be fun to build the motor myself

Squeezing Spectra
    Build a 350 or bigger dont build a 283

wsuwrhr
    Build a 350 or bigger dont build a 283
    ....or bigger? I guess.
    I have a 400 crank if you want to build a 383.
    400's are peices of shit.

Brian

wsuwrhr
    I'm not opposed to a crate motor but I think it would be fun to build the motor myself
    Agreed,
    Just depends on what how much work you want to get yourself into.
    I would never buy a crate motor. Just because I would rather do it myself.
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    Speedin-check out the ZZ4 crate motor. For less than 4 grand(advertised on the net) you get aluminum headed 355hp small block. You could spend more building your own, but why?
    Nice motor too.

Speedin' Ian
    So let me ask you this. If I bought that ZZ4 what could I sell that 283 for?

BrendellaJet
    Hard to say. Depends on how badly someone else wants it. Would need to know #s off the block & heads...I wouldn't plan on getting rich off of it unless the part #s were desireable and the think was rebuilt to exacting specs & finish.

Squeezing Spectra
    Check the block and head casting numbers and dates and figure out what it is from first, build you own engine you can do it for the same or less than a new crate engine and enjoy the project anybody can buy a crate engine

wsuwrhr
    Hard to say. Depends on how badly someone else wants it. Would need to know #s off the block & heads...I wouldn't plan on getting rich off of it unless the part #s were desireable and the think was rebuilt to exacting specs & finish.
    exactly....
    283's are essentially worthless, pretty much for all the reasons in this thread, that is unless someone REALLY needs one.
    The crankshaft is probably worth more than anything, mainly for the old school 302 destroker.
    Otherwise noone is really going to put effort into such a small motor(by today's standards) unless it is a resto deal.
    Budget, or not?
    On a budget:
    Find a good block and crank for a 350, use the 283's externals, distributor/valve covers and oil pan/balancer/flexplate or flywheel if you can.
    Otherwise buy the rest aftermarket.
    ...or look around for a reputable unfinished project motor....for pennies on the dollar, sometimes you can score a deal on a motor from a machineshop that someone never picked up.
    Better budget:
    Find yourself a good block and crank for a 350, and buy everything else new.
    Brian

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast