Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: serious ? jets vs V-drive

V-drives are not for everyone. It takes a level of skill to drive one that not everyone has. And if you do not have that skill and a certain "respect" for flatbottom v-drives and treat it as such it can and will kick your ass. You need to drive one to appreicate what they are. Don't ride in one as you will not get the real effect of what these boats can do. The people that can drive a flat well make it look easy but don't be fooled, it ain't as easy as it looks.

ck7684
    Thanks for the great answers!!

VDRIVERACING
    I can't bight my tongue any longer... Vdrives are what jets want to be when they grow up. Jets became popular because they were a cheap alternitive to vdives when low profile boats were selling like hotcakes in the 60's and 70's. Sure, there are some wicked fast jet boats. On the other hand, you can put a jet engine in a school bus and it'll go fast too. Whoever marketed these things were geniuses in my mind. Imagine selling a boat that couldn't turn unless you had the gas pedal buried. Alternitively frightening at times, and then simply frustrating at low speed weaving back and forth into the marina.
    Of course, there is the 'runs in shallow water' thing...

GofastRacer
    Now you know better than that, it's called "fine tuning the impeller" depending on the grit of the sand and gravel that is!..

River Rat 005
    A jet is a piece of cake to drive, but cruise at a higher rpm thus use more gas than a v-drive. Jets take more hp to run the same speed as a v-drive. A jet is a dream in the dock or tight areas as you can inch them into anywhere by working the shifter. Jets have brakes. Just us reverse. A buddy of mine did at cruise speed. Said he almost ended on the deck. To me it seems like 6 to 1 and a half dozen of the other.

killerbeez
    I have a jet for the sole purpose of the kids and it is cheaper to find in the for sale adds.More for the reason they are cheaper to find.

Highlimit9000
    I took a friend of mine out in my V-Drive for the first time. He had only been in Jets prior, he wasnt even aware of what a V-Drive was. He was grinning from ear to ear. He could not believe the difference in feel, acceleration, and handling. He said he would get no other boat. I owned 2 Jets prior to going in my first V-Drive, I was easily hooked after. As said earlier though, V-Drives are not for everyone, they are very high maintenance boats, and they really take alot of time behind the wheel to master them. Esp, Big HP ones! Go ride in both. You will then know what is for you...

squirt'nmyload
    I can't bight my tongue any longer... Vdrives are what jets want to be when they grow up. Jets became popular because they were a cheap alternitive to vdives when low profile boats were selling like hotcakes in the 60's and 70's. Sure, there are some wicked fast jet boats. On the other hand, you can put a jet engine in a school bus and it'll go fast too. Whoever marketed these things were geniuses in my mind. Imagine selling a boat that couldn't turn unless you had the gas pedal buried. Alternitively frightening at times, and then simply frustrating at low speed weaving back and forth into the marina.
    :sleeping:...you have got to be kidding, right???? it's too bad that most of the vdrives in phx are trailer queens cause i'd really like to see them run
    i like them both...it's all a matter of what you are looking for out of a boat i guess...............................sorry, i'll go back to just jets now

disco_charger
    I have both. Did you ever have a jet? I can spin my jet in place at low speed in the marina. My old Howard was a bitch in the marina, turning it off to put it back in gear, and restarting it every time. I love the v drive, I just bought another one, and will probably sell my jet, but your statements aren't all that on target.
    The whole 3 moving parts thing is a nice plus too. Not too efficient, but the wife is a whole lot more comfortable driving a jet when I ski.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    And here is Disco charger's favorite video (http://www.v-drivevideo.com/movie/discojames.wmv) :devil:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast