Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Can I Fix My Splashguard?

W.O.T
    My boat was running really lousy and my headers got real hot and melted my splashguard. Both sides started leaning in like you can see in the pic. This happened idling the boat back to the dock. The Motor has been tuned, but now I have an ugly splashguard. Any ideas on how i can bend the plastic back?
    http://a199.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...3061be0c46.jpg

b's sanger
    I think you are stuck buying a new one.

Ken F
    try heating it with a heat gun then clamping it between two boards until it cools....might work, that's how they make the bends
    Ken F

cave
    Its not cheap but I made my own with the help of one of those 1 burner propane camping deals. http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...e13/Burner.jpg
    It heats enough area to bend 3/8" in minutes. If its thinner you need less time over the burner. Keep it moving so you don't get heat bubbles.

W.O.T
    thanks for the ideas. i actually have one of those single burners. i will give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

YeLLowBoaT
    be careful with a flame...acrylic goes form the right temp to bend to scrap really fast. If you have a decent heat gun I would use that... or stick it under your broiler if the wife is not going to be home.( it will stink for awhile... so make sure shes gone for the day or it will be your ass)

cave
    be careful with a flame...acrylic goes form the right temp to bend to scrap really fast. If you have a decent heat gun I would use that...
    Very true. I made mine from 1/4" Clear acrylic. I kept moving the splash around the area that I was shaping. I tried my heat gun but I couldn't get enough heat in the area I needed to bend the acrylic cleanly.
    You don't need much heat to do what you want to do. Just enough to flatten it out.
    extra tall for Saguaro Lake Wake boat gatherings
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ewegoagain.jpg

tittyman
    Yesterday I was out in my boat and one of the needle/seats stuck closed. Didn't notice how lean I was running until it was too late..my splash guard has a nice little sag in it now...thought about all the suggestions here and came up with a good solution to heat it back up..if you have access to a construction heater (looks like a torpedo) runs on karsone, use that..I have one and it throws out about 30,000 BTU of heat without a flame..guarantee you can heat up a bent splash guard and clamp it back into shape..just my O2..

victorfb
    careful useing the clamps as they may leave marks. years back when i did some plastic work we used thick welding gloves and kept shaping the heated plastic untill it cooled and stayed in its shape. the garage heater is a good idea, just be careful not to ignite the plastic with that big monster.

1980eliminator
    where might a person buy a splashguard for a jetboat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast