Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: teenagers are not only expensive...

Dezertrider
    Hey PAB,,
    Friends daughter has the same mental issues and on top of that had a major head trauma at 10yo. She is 24 now with a 6 yo and has fewer issues as long as she takes her meds. The meds are the only thing that keep her bareable. About once a year she drinks and throws every thing off and after a couple of weeks she ends up being picked up by the cops Hi as a kite.
    Educating her on the drugs and why she needs them helps but once again sometimes she does'nt understand.
    Why don't you commute from the river in the summer and the dezert in the winter? He wont find you there.
    Good luck !!!
    Oh Yeah nice rack!!!!!!!

Sherpa
    my old buddy has gone thru this exact scenario with his son.
    the final straw was stealing father-in-laws pickup, wrecked it.....
    They made him a ward of the state. That alone takes all legal responsibility
    away from the parents........... the kid belongs to the state....... now when
    he turns 18, I'm not sure what is going to happen......
    kid realizes he's screwed up big time, and sabotages it when things are just
    *this close to working out for weekend pass...........
    father finally said, enough is enough..... don't ever come home........
    --Sherpa

76ANTHONY
    tons. it's his fault actually that we're all desert rats now. Now that we're all into it & have made thousands of investments....he doesn't want a damn thing to do with it. Quite honestly, now I hate taking him, because he does his best to ruin everyone else's good time.
    dam, im really sorry to hear that. my parents caught my issues early enough to where there wasent anymore issues after the age of 17 or 16. and i would never even back talk my mother, shes italian and she woulda beat the crap outta me and my stepdad was a boxer, sooooo lets just say my issues where delt with at a young age. i hope it gets better for you, but i think you need more law advise than anything else. im sorry for your problem.

Ziggy
    Mrs V mentioned it earlier....
    A rigorous "Scared Straight" program might help him some. I watched the TV program they had on a year or two ago and even the worst kids came around.
    I feel very compassionate for you, afterall this is your child and you want him to succeed......it seems you don't know where to turn anymore.

AZJD
    I can send some of my OC boys down to shake him up a bit. I mean it. A sound talking to with a little force and intimidation would probably do him good. And you need to tell him that those are friends of yours and if he steps out of line they will be coming back....... It's worked before.

OKIE-JET
    You may also look into having him committed for a psych evaluation for a short time, as that may be what it takes to slow him down long enough for some reality. Takes away freedoms and access to negative influences without the harshness of a jail-cell. Sounds like some serious ADD.

PunkAssBitch
    You may also look into having him committed for a psych evaluation for a short time, as that may be what it takes to slow him down long enough for some reality. Takes away freedoms and access to negative influences without the harshness of a jail-cell. Sounds like some serious ADD.
    BTDT about 8 times over the years. This kid has not been your standard run o' the mill expensive teenager. Last year we paid $30k out of pocket after insurance ran out after the 8th hospitalization & he was sent to the Group Home. Hospitals are for acute care only & very short term. The Group Home costs $5k a WEEK for him to be there. Thank GOD the school district HAS TO pay that. What's really sad is that e're in the crappy position of making too much money to qualify for anything...programs ARE available to help him & others like him, but we make too much money to be able to qualify. If I was suckin' off the welfare tit, ah...well the opportunities are practically endless.
    There's one of the biggest reasons we are boatless...it's okay though. Priorities! Right?

PunkAssBitch
    my old buddy has gone thru this exact scenario with his son.
    the final straw was stealing father-in-laws pickup, wrecked it.....
    They made him a ward of the state. That alone takes all legal responsibility
    away from the parents........... the kid belongs to the state....... now when
    he turns 18, I'm not sure what is going to happen......
    kid realizes he's screwed up big time, and sabotages it when things are just
    *this close to working out for weekend pass...........
    father finally said, enough is enough..... don't ever come home........
    --Sherpa
    that's pretty much our final option, turning him over to the system. totally fockin' sucks...I mean, he's MY SON.......and that's not an easy option...especially when he has no criminal history.
    It would be so much easier if I could just beat his ass LOL.

PunkAssBitch
    Hey PAB,,
    Friends daughter has the same mental issues and on top of that had a major head trauma at 10yo. She is 24 now with a 6 yo and has fewer issues as long as she takes her meds. The meds are the only thing that keep her bareable. About once a year she drinks and throws every thing off and after a couple of weeks she ends up being picked up by the cops Hi as a kite.
    Educating her on the drugs and why she needs them helps but once again sometimes she does'nt understand.
    Why don't you commute from the river in the summer and the dezert in the winter? He wont find you there.
    Good luck !!!
    Oh Yeah nice rack!!!!!!!
    :idea: guess we'd have to find new campin' spots, huh? LOL........hey, are you guys gonna be out for Memorial??? Can Kathy bring my clothes back? LOL
    That's how it is with him, sorta...sometimes I think the meds do more harm than good....but, ya know...we've been thru the gauntlet with TONS of meds. Poor kid is on a gnarly cocktail. That's part of the problem with him drinking...it's not just drinking, one of the meds (Lithium) when combined with alcohol can be fatal.

photo chick
    BTDT about 8 times over the years. This kid has not been your standard run o' the mill expensive teenager. Last year we paid $30k out of pocket after insurance ran out after the 8th hospitalization & he was sent to the Group Home. Hospitals are for acute care only & very short term. The Group Home costs $5k a WEEK for him to be there. Thank GOD the school district HAS TO pay that. What's really sad is that e're in the crappy position of making too much money to qualify for anything...programs ARE available to help him & others like him, but we make too much money to be able to qualify. If I was suckin' off the welfare tit, ah...well the opportunities are practically endless.
    There's one of the biggest reasons we are boatless...it's okay though. Priorities! Right?
    The school district pays 5k a week for him to be in a home?
    I am sorry you're having to go through this!! You sound like you've tried everything. Not sure what's left to do.. It sounds like he's going to do what the heck he wants to and figure it out on his own until he ends up locked up.
    I am always reminded of how glad I am that I never had kids..
    good luck!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast