Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what kind of carb for 460 ford?

Kerny
    i am looking at the jegs catalog for a new carb. is 750 cfm to big or is a 600 cfm carb better? do i need a marine or can i use any carb? the ones i am looking at is the edelbrock 600cfm or 750 cfm for $285.99
    [ June 19, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

drivendude
    go with the 750 for that big motor.Be abslutely sure that the timing is correct at idle and correct at full advance.34% at 3400 rpms is a must.You can alter the idle timing all you want but you must get the total advance all the way 'in' by 32-3400 rpms.Those motors all run 'muddy' anyway.So get the timing right before you finalize carb adjustments.Higher idle speeds help keep those big motors happy,but not to the point of drive-line damage.800-900 ok in netual. good luck

Hotcrusader76
    What are your engine specs? How heavy is your boat? What type of use are you planning for this motor?
    ~Ty

Spectra19
    I have a mildely built 460 and run a 850 with no problem. So I would go with at least a 750. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Snorider
    The main difference in a marine carburetor is that it will not allow gas to shoot back up the carburetor if your timing is very far off, as can happen on car motors.
    If you do all your own work, you can save money and put an automotive carb on it, although i do not recommend it. If however, you do not do all your own work, most marina's will not touch a boat with an automotive carburetor. Just a heads up on that if you ever plan on trying to sell it or having a marina service it.

Hollis
    spectra19, is that a Holley? What is the price range..?

gnarley
    Snorider:
    The main difference in a marine carburetor is that it will not allow gas to shoot back up the carburetor if your timing is very far off, as can happen on car motors.
    Sorry Snorider, but that is incorrect. That can happen on boats too & does. The difference is mostly internal with the only real external difference being the bowl vents that look like J shaped tubes & hence the name J-tubes.
    The rest are metering blocks & throttle shafts. I asked a question to Holley some time ago; So you are telling me that a competent Carb shop that builds racing carbs and does performance modifications could not convert a street carb to a marine carb? And a response from them to me says; no, sorry , but the metering blocks, and the fuel curve are not set up the same due to the difference in load rating between a car and boat.
    This is of course out of the box but a marine carb will have the SAE J-1977 on it indicating that it is a marine carb if I am not mistaken.

LakesOnly
    Kerny,
    Get the Holley 850. They are more expensive but are worth every penny. These motors love 'em.
    LO
    [ June 20, 2003, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

HOSS
    I run a 750 but would love to have had the 850. better yet I want a tunnel ram with 2 750`s. And the J-tubes are the easiest way to tell a marine carb. If not mistaken the tubes can be connected with fuel hose. I bench race and saw this become popular in the late 80`s at the track. This was due to hard launches. Holley then came out with that plastic deflector to install. How did it vent with hose I don`t know. It would deffinately suck if you backfired and hose started burning. Anyone got info on this procedure? Hotcrusader76 where ya at?

MANIC MECHANIC
    The J- tubes as you are calling them are simply an altered vent tube, and it's made that way so that, if the float or needle valve sticks and the bowl overflows, the fuel is dumped into the intake instead of all over the carb. Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast