Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banks turbo System input please

bigq
    I am wondering about this setup. It has Roto master turbos on it, no wastegates? Any input?
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/107banksturb.jpg[/img]
    Thanks

DUCKY
    The layout is differnent than mine, but I am sure it's similar. Mine uses exhaust logs, and has risers that come up behind them. My turbos, and carb sit above and behind the engine with a small water jacketed box (intercooler) that bolts on in place of the carb. I have Rayjay 301-E10's with no waste gates, and was told to drill bypass holes in the exhaust housings the reduce the boost. I still have 8lbs (4000rpm), and I haven't left my foot in it more than 3seconds, yet..... I have never seen a Banks system that looked like that, but I am sure it will still work!

bigkatboat
    Are you sure it's all Banks? M & W Gear made a kit that looks a lot like that one. Drilling the exhaust housing makes it "slow to spool" and it is just LAZY down low. Waste gates are the way to go if the 'sizing' is correct. A smaller carb will drop the total boost without losing the PULL on the bottom and mid range. Cam timing will also make a big change on how it runs. George

Boozer
    A turbo system without a waste gate??? That seems really odd.
    Is it possible that these turbos have internal waste gates on them? If you dont have a waste gate (in theory) those things would be making infinite amounts of boost. If they don't have waste gates then I would add them. You can pick up waste gates for like $250 and that's $250 that could protect your motor.
    Why would someone set up turbos without waste gates?

Eric455
    i have waist gates on my turbo system. but i have the older model and we locked them thight shut and we are only making 6-8psi it shoudl be fine. and i dont have a problem. it just depends on the setup, thats all
    eric

bigkatboat
    Boozer, Most of the Banks and PFM systems of the 1970s had NO WASTE GATES! I know because I re- tuned and re-built hundreds of them. Many "locked" the dist. timing and had cranking problems when hot. They were also very lazy off boost, and ran too rich on boost. For the most part the systems were set up to make the BOOST GAUGE GO WAY UP! and to hell with the EGT or the overall drivealility. With the 'noise problems' we are facing on the water ways today, the turbo motor (In my opinion) is the way of the future. It is still the most efficient way to make a ton of torque. Thanks for reading. smile_sp

All the old Banks systems used the bypass hole method. We built engines and installed lots of them in the 80's. The "poor mans wastegate", we used to call em. As stated above it is a relatively poor method to limit boost compared to a wastegate and really kills low end response because you're dumping exhaust right from the get go out the bypass hole. Basically you would keep enlarging the bypass hole until the boost number on top was where it needed to be to live. That picture at the top doesn't look like any of the Banks systems I remember.

Beavertim
    I have a PFM set-up on my 460 Ford. It uses a spring actuated intake choke to control boost. When the boost gets to 8 psi, the intake pressure acting against the springs pushes a sleeve that reduces the passage way between the turbos and the intake manifold. It seems to work fine.
    BTW, if any body needs a good deal on a turbo cam, I just put a new cam in that increased my RPM from 5000 to 5300 RPM (double AA impeller). I only had the previous one in for a couple of seasons (probably less than 40 hours of use). If anyone is interested in buying it, email me. It is a competition cam specialty turbo grind, hydraulic, specs are; intake - .565"/230 deg @.05", exhaust - .542"/224 deg @ .05", 114 deg LC. It has smooth idle, and good power through 5500 RPM. I also have the matching lifters (carefully kept in order) and the card. I paid $280 for the set and will sell for $125, if any one want's it. Tim

I have a brand new in the box Engle TSC8 Turbo Cam also if anyone's interested.

I agree with Bigkatboat, it looks like a M&W gear setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast