Thread: carb pops when you get on the gas hard

jbuenojr
    I have a 1974 Rogers jet
    With a Berkeley jet 12jc
    1973 454 Chevy ls6 , speed demon carb 750 cfm 4 barrel double pumper, with a victor 2-r manifold, with rv cam, steel crank, hp heads
    Its has msd 6l Ignition box, pro billet distionor, 8.8 wires,
    Gap on my plugs is .o6
    I need some help with setting up the carb.
    I am running my motor around 140 -150 deg
    My timing is 8 deg
    When I get on the gas the carb starts to pop?
    WhatÂ’s going on? Never did that with my old carb.( old carb was leaking a lot
    Is my timing off? Or maybe a vacuum leak some where?
    Is there some that help me out?
    Thanks
    johnny

Beer-30
    It's lean. A "back-pop" is a lean condition.
    Either the accelerator pump is not doing it's job, or you have a vac leak.

enzo
    your timing is retarded - add some timing - what's your advance curve if any, you should be at 34 degrees BTDC at full advance

SmokinLowriderSS
    I've run 8* on a 454 for a couple decades absolutely flawlessly, so that isn't bad, but I would bump it to 10*, maybe as far as 12 depe4nding on the total advance curve, aiming for 34* to 36*.
    Lean pop is correct IMO, most likely.
    Double check your idle mixtures (since you are there), and make sure your accel pump is working.
    With it idling, take either a can of WD-40 OR a can of startign fluid (less messy) and squirt small ammounts arround al the gasket areas in search of a vacumme leak. Any leak sucking in the sprays will change the idle immediately, for a few secconds.
    Does it do it from a mild roll on the throttle, or just if you stab it pretty good?
    What happens if you flat-foot it from idle to the floor?

GasGuzzler
    What is the plug gap???

jbuenojr
    when i stab on hard from idle to full it pops.. i try the vac leak test, them check my timing i dont think i am at 34* @ full advance.. , also check my accel pump ... thanks for the helpI've run 8* on a 454 for a couple decades absolutely flawlessly, so that isn't bad, but I would bump it to 10*, maybe as far as 12 depe4nding on the total advance curve, aiming for 34* to 36*.
    Lean pop is correct IMO, most likely.
    Double check your idle mixtures (since you are there), and make sure your accel pump is working.
    With it idling, take either a can of WD-40 OR a can of startign fluid (less messy) and squirt small ammounts arround al the gasket areas in search of a vacumme leak. Any leak sucking in the sprays will change the idle immediately, for a few secconds.
    Does it do it from a mild roll on the throttle, or just if you stab it pretty good?
    What happens if you flat-foot it from idle to the floor?

OverKill
    You most deffinatley should be no less than 32* of timing. Also do you have J-tubes in your Carb.? Try running a little higher octane in your fuel. Oh and if you have those small fuel filtter inserts in your carb. (the round glittery ones). Take them out and use a fuel filter system with a water seperator. Let us know how it turns out for you.
    OverKill