Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone ever use strip calking to seal pump adaptors??

IMPATIENT 1
    i'm putting my transom adapter back on tonite and i had a rough time getting it off before with all the silicone and was thinking about goin back with strip calking(or buytle calking,etc.). it'd sure make getting the transom adapter easy to get off next time around plus it'll conform well/seal great.
    anyone ever tried using it to seal up your transom adapter before? the stuff stays "soft" and won't dry out and leak.just looking for opinions before i try. i've got a rubber transom adapter i ordered in but of course its not rite along with several other parts i had ordred tom

oldbuck40
    i'm putting my transom adapter back on tonite and i had a rough time getting it off before with all the silicone and was thinking about goin back with strip calking(or buytle calking,etc.). it'd sure make getting the transom adapter easy to get off next time around plus it'll conform well/seal great.
    anyone ever tried using it to seal up your transom adapter before? the stuff stays "soft" and won't dry out and leak.just looking for opinions before i try. i've got a rubber transom adapter i ordered in but of course its not rite along with several other parts i had ordred tom
    Hey okie! you better stick with what ya know! i would hate for it to go down!

IMPATIENT 1
    Hey okie! you better stick with what ya know! i would hate for it to go down!
    i hate silicone and i know i'll be pulling the transom adapter back off soon for a better impellor, just wanting to save myself the hassle of removing tubes of silicone with my thumb nails again i've got caulking gun tubes with black,silver or white silicones(all auto grade) plus i've got a few tubes of 8609 3m urethane adhesive(i know it'd never leak using this but it'd never come back off either,lol). i cracked the f/g adapter in a couple of spots and had to fix it already, didn't want to do it again.

oldbuck40
    i hate silicone and i know i'll be pulling the transom adapter back off soon for a better impellor, just wanting to save myself the hassle of removing tubes of silicone with my thumb nails again i've got caulking gun tubes with black,silver or white silicones(all auto grade) plus i've got a few tubes of 8609 3m urethane adhesive(i know it'd never leak using this but it'd never come back off either,lol). i cracked the f/g adapter in a couple of spots and had to fix it already, didn't want to do it again.
    i know it sucks! seems endless cuttin and scraping that crap off! at least a 12 packs worth lol. hell it might work???? dunno guess you'll just have to give it a whirl and see. dont think i would yank off the trailer right off the bat though. give it a few minutes and check for leaks.

IMPATIENT 1
    here's the stuff i have on hand:
    http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT
    i just thought maybe it'd stay in place well, but i guess i could just lay a nicer bead of silicone than the last guy did and it'll look better. whoever did pump work on my boat last sealed it the right way but must have made a 1/2 inch wide bead of silicone cause he used his finger and spread it on the outside too, it was uggggglllllyyy:sqeyes: i've gotta use black silicone to seal up to the bowl anyways, guess i'll open a black tube and get busy i need a flush mount adapter so i can get the bowl off without removing the transom adapter

Devilman
    When I had mine apart the first time, back in '04, I cleaned all the old silicone off the transom adaptor, made sure it was nice & smooth. Ran a thin bead of clear RTV around it on the mounting surface & then ran my finger across it, smoothing it down into a thin layer. Let it get kind of tacky & then bolted it on. Pulled it apart recently, when I was doing the bowl swapping deal, it came right off, nice & clean & when I was done & had it back together, didn't even have to add any new silicone. I keep a close eye on it when its in the water, haven't had a leak yet. :rollside:

lucky
    i wonder if you laid down some pam ON the inermost part of the transome and then left half the mating surface raw if it woud be easier - or if you just make a big ****in mess

El Prosecutor
    I used a lightly greased gasket on the transom adapter, and some silicone around the bowl. It has not leaked a drop in a year. When I remove it (hopefully in 2027) a snap-blade knife will take care of the silicone around the bowl, and the TA should come right off.

BrendellaJet
    Prosecutor, did you use any silicone at all on the transome? If grease will work, thats a good easy to clean way to do it. I know that will work on the pump to intake gasket.

El Prosecutor
    Prosecutor, did you use any silicone at all on the transome? If grease will work, thats a good easy to clean way to do it. I know that will work on the pump to intake gasket.
    No silicone on the transom at all. Just a lightly greased gasket. I have only done it once, but it seems to work great so far.
    For clarification, I did use a bead of silicone around the bowl where the bowl meets the transom adapter, just no silicone on where the adapter / gasket meets the transom itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast