Thread: New problem 496 HO

Chickenlips
    After running the boat about 15 to 20 min the motor gets hot and it shuts down. I guess there is a senser @ the heat exchanger.or what ever its called. There is plenty of water going through the system. the water pump impeller is good. This is my freinds boat and I know nothing about these new motors with the closed cooling system,& neither does he. Need some HELP
    Jim

BDMar
    If it's getting hot enough to shut it down more than likely there is a restriction in the fresh water system. Maybe a pugged heat exchanger from debris or pieces from an old failed water pump impeller. If the water pump housing is worn (very common) badly, it won't supply water properly even with a new impeller. Did you physically take the impeller out and inspect it?
    How new is it? If it is under warranty and you know for sure the water system is good, it could be covered under warranty.

Just foreplay
    After running the boat about 15 to 20 min the motor gets hot and it shuts down. I guess there is a senser @ the heat exchanger.or what ever its called. There is plenty of water going through the system. the water pump impeller is good. This is my freinds boat and I know nothing about these new motors with the closed cooling system,& neither does he. Need some HELP
    Jim
    If it's getting hot enough to shut it down more than likely there is a restriction in the fresh water system. Maybe a pugged heat exchanger from debris or pieces from an old failed water pump impeller. If the water pump housing is worn (very common) badly, it won't supply water properly even with a new impeller. Did you physically take the impeller out and inspect it?
    How new is it? If it is under warranty and you know for sure the water system is good, it could be covered under warranty.
    Great advice from BD,
    I believe your motor is going into guardian mode..
    Also check the pump housing for gouges and scarring.

Chickenlips
    It is a 2001 with only 40 hours, no warranty. They ran it last week every thing was good. He said the temp gage on the dash showed that it was not running hot. He said the exhaust manifolds were hot to where some wires laying on them tryed to melt. should they get that hot, if there is water flowing through them. Something is shuting down the motor. and I don't think it is water related.

ULTRA26 # 1
    If the exhaust manifolds are hot there is a problem with sea or fresh water system. water pump, clogged water pick up, or some sort of blockage in the the line. Hopefully nothing else got damaged, as a result of the overheat. Manifolds should not get hot as they are water cooled.
    Just my .02
    John M

Chickenlips
    Yesterday they kept the boat on the lift. It ran @ idle for 15 minutes and shut down. The motor wasn't hot, the gauge show about 130, there was plenty of water going through the motor and exiting out the exhaust, the exhaust was warm but not so hot that you couldn't touch them. It has to be a sensor.