Thread: J-Drains?

DelawareDave
    Does anyone actually have these on their boat? Mine need replaced/repair kits and I hear good and bad about them.
    J-Drain (http://www.rexmar.com/page157.html)

texas-19
    Long story but my fishing boat almost sank in the middle of the bay because a leaf got caught in one of those things.Low freeboard bay boat.If they are even remotely close to the water line get rid of them.
    We were fishing out of the front of the boat on a deck and didn't notice it was filling up with water.I was surprised how fast it filled up.
    I now run with plugs in them now and drain as needed.

ONAROLL
    Yup, I have them in the sponsons and a normal plug in the center pod, my sponsons will hold water and not enough room for an automatic bilge, I have never had any problems, and I like the fact when trailered my sponsons will stay empty..................Vic

DelawareDave
    I have a tunnel hull. The center where the motor/jet drive is has a regular rubber drain plug. The J-drains are on the outside of the tunnel on each side. They are under water when the boat isn't moving.

moneysucker
    I have them now. I swore by them when I first got them then they started leaking more and more. I now have plugs in them. I may try the rebuild kit to see if they will work right again. I did like the outer sponsons draining any time I ran.

They work great but don't like oil, gas in the bilge water (shrivels the rubber) and don't like foreign objects. If you keep your eye on things they're not a problem. Otherwise use an auto bilge pump too.

texas-19
    They work great but don't like oil, gas in the bilge water (shrivels the rubber) and don't like foreign objects. If you keep your eye on things they're not a problem. Otherwise use an auto bilge pump too.
    You have better ones than the ones in my bay boat but they are not reliable,like you said,foreign objects get hung in them and they shrivel up.
    I've seen the other side and it ain't a good feeling with a boat full of water.
    If they are under water id plug them off.
    Weigh the + against - .

DelawareDave
    OK. I ordered a new pair, as mine had the old style, with a rubber seal, both side. I also ordered spare repair kits.
    Thanks, for all the replies, positive and negative.