Thread: Impellar recommendations and a 12 pack

Statue
    Hey guys, I'm a whacka guy who doesn't understand impellar selection. I've got a stock 460, RV cam, D3 truck heads, Edelbrock intake, MSD digital 6 box, pro billet distributor, 8.5mm wires, HVAC coil and 750 carb. probably makes somewhere around 300hp (or did). The pump is a berkeley with a AA impellar. I was told this was a good choice for a 21" Mini Day Cruiser. The engine only had about 25 hours on it (professionaly rebuilt by Team C in Bellflower) and it blew up at Havasu this weekend. The motor would only spin 3800 rpm with this pump and 47 mph (gps). I don't plan to build a race boat, just want a reliable cruiser, what inpellar shoud I run? I see on the Berkeley site that it takes 500hp to turn a AA to 5200. I have an A impeller from another pump if someone in the IE is open to help me change it over. Any help is appreciated.
    Wes

81rogers
    I would suggest an A or maybe an A/B cut. I am running around 375hp in a mini-day and i run A/B runs great. AA is not correct for the set up you have.

Duane HTP
    With an RV camshaft and truck heads, the AA was the right impeller for the motor, because it wasn't going to make any power on top end anyway with that set up. If you build the motor correctly for a jet boat, then you will probably end up using an A impeller. Give me a call or an Eamil, 316-794-8616. I can help you with your set up.
    www.hi-techperformance.com

Statue
    update. The engine is fine. The noise I heard that I thought was a rod bearing is actually the pump shaft. It is so locked up that it can barely be moved by hand. It seems as though the impellar is rubbing on the wear ring? Anyone up for lending a hand on this repair? I've never worked on a jet and would like to get this thing back in the water. Wes 951.616.7645