Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Lake Mead is no good?

Mountainstone
    I may soon be stationed in Las Vegas (Air Force) and was pretty stoked thinking about how Lake Mead must be a great place to party. It's huge and deep and close to Vegas, so there's gotta be lotsa hotties on hot boats I figure. I just spoke with a buddy who was stationed there a few years back who says that nobody goes to Mead cuz it's "nasty." I asked what he meant but he couldn't elaborate, not being a boater himself - he just repeated what he had heard.
    Is Mead nasty? Does nobody really boat that huge lake?

burtandnancy2
    Lake Mead is one of the two best lakes in the Pacific Southwest (tied with Lake Powell) There is nothing nasty about Lake Mead. A few years ago there was an algae problem, but thats long gone. All you need is a fast boat and lots of fuel, there are over a 1,000 miles of shoreline to see and explore...

Mountainstone
    That makes me feel better. I thought it odd that there is so little mention of it on this site, considering its proximity to the Vegas "baller" set. Maybe it draws too little of the California crowd to be a true "see-and-be-seen" destination. Thanx for the reassurance!

Magic34
    Lake Mead is one of the two best lakes in the Pacific Southwest (tied with Lake Powell) There is nothing nasty about Lake Mead. A few years ago there was an algae problem, but thats long gone. All you need is a fast boat and lots of fuel, there are over a 1,000 miles of shoreline to see and explore...
    I agree with all of this. It is a great lake to be on. Very large and the water is clean.

voodoomedman
    That makes me feel better. I thought it odd that there is so little mention of it on this site, considering its proximity to the Vegas "baller" set. Maybe it draws too little of the California crowd to be a true "see-and-be-seen" destination. Thanx for the reassurance!
    Unfortunately the party is on Havasu. That is a couple hours from Vegas. It sucks though because not only does it make it crowded but too many people don't know how to party responsibly.

franky
    On a nice day Mead is wonderfull. When the wind comes up it IS nasty. Big water.

burtandnancy2
    Thats why I say you need a big, fast boat. Lake Mead is for adults, Havazoo for all others...

HocusPocus
    i have alawys enjoyed lake mead except of course when the winds pick up and it can be a rough ride. i was 12 years in the Air Force, what field are you in?

OCMerrill
    Over the past several years the water level has barely gone above 50 to 60%full.
    Maybe this is what your hearing?
    Still a very big lake and one can truely get lost there.

Mountainstone
    i was 12 years in the Air Force, what field are you in?
    I'm an E6 with 15.5 yrs (4 1/2 years 'til retirement - woohoo!). I'm a civil engineer troop, high voltage electrician by trade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast