Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: motor removal?????

jmummery
    Ok guys i need some help. i have a 20 glasstron carlson with a 429 and a berkley 12je jet. i need to pull the motor and to save alot of money i= want to do it myself. i was looking around and saw the motor mounts underneath but how or where do oyu remove the jet or just disconnect it from the motor? thanks Josh

Heatseeker
    The end of the pump shaft is splined. Once you get all your motor mounts disconnected, the motor coupling will slide off of the front of the pump shaft.
    It's a piece of cake.

Josh, most likely you have what we call "3-point" mounts. This means that you have one mount on each side of the block(where automotive mounts would be) and the "third" would be where the bell housing clamps around the front bearing housing of the jet.
    Removal is straightforward. Remove the bolts from the front mounts(DO NOT remove the mounting bolts that go through the stringers) and then remove the two bolts that clamp the bellhousing to the jet pump. Once that is done lift the engine slightly and move it forward to slide the driveline out of the pump (as Heatseeker noted). Once clear, lift it out.
    I think the biggest hurdle you will have is getting a hoist capable of lifting it high enough to clear the gunnels. That 20 foot Carlson is not a small boat. The typical "cherry picker" probably wont have sufficient boom length or liftover height.

Kenosobby
    maybe not something every person needs.. but I use mine alot for pulling motors in car/trucks.. I plan on trying to use it when I pull the motor out of the boat. It sure beats using the bucket off the tractor..
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41188

zudnic
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41188
    I have two that are sim as in your link.... Commercial orchard so need it for fixing things like tow mowers, etc.....The second is in our juice plant for repairing our equipment, etc.
    If and when we move those in Northern Cali can play in our shop. :idea:

jmummery
    Thank you all for the info. it seems to be very easy. i would have wasted 500$ to remove and install. Thanks again guys

Xlration Marine
    Hope you have a narrow boat, that thing goes 94". Thats under 8'. I've put big blocks in and let me tell you, they are pure dead weight. That thing might just buckle if you can get your rig under it. Yes I know it will hold 2k, and the engine hoist that I used held 4000. It was a hand full for that hoist to handle. That is a cool looking piece. Let me know how it goes. Would be great for outboads.

Where are you located??? I have a hoist in my shop that will pull any engine.

jmummery
    ok i noticed that there are about 4 to 6 bolts holding the jet to the back of the motor. Do i take those bolts off and then it should slide out? Sorry im new the the whole jet drive.

are you close to stockton? i have a over head lift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast