Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Polished Aluminum???

finaleffort
    thinner would be the quicker. thats what i always use. then for polishing i use extreme metal polish. it looks like pink cotton candy. the best stuff i have ever used. will never go back to never dull or mothers again. it takes half the time and looks better.

77charger
    I have used the extreme polish.mothers.blue magic,simi chrome.They all work great but the best i have used to date is heavy metal polish they have 3 different compounds
    red-coarse compound
    green- for heavy oxidized alm,stainless,chrome
    blue- for billet,fine polishing high shine.
    the thing i like about this stuff it goes on easily and comes very easy,very liquidy and protects good.Also smells like candy.
    go to http://www.heavymetalpolish.com

Snowboat
    Use the children, worst case, make a trade with the better half.

blown428fe
    OK here is my problem. When I painted my boat the motor was in the garage with it, I sprayed PPG CLV single stage. The motor was baged but I guess not enough. I have a thin film of overspray on the tunnelram and valve covers, this stuff sticks to everything, including my floor. Any ideas now??????????? :220v:
    ACITONE WILL CLEAN DRIED OVERSPRAY EASY AND SHOULDNT HARM ANY THING.

blown428fe
    What would you use to do a quick clean up of valve covers and intake with out taking them off and doing the major polish????
    I ALSO USE MOTHERS POLISH AND BEFORE I GO OUT ILL WIPE IT DOWN WITH BRAKECLEAN ON A RAG.

SANGER-RICH
    And with far better results....
    Who do you suggest?? I still need some other stuff polished and well.

Sangster
    I send my stuff up to Walker's Chrome & Polish in Redding...But there are a few in Concord...Check the yellow pages....

mirrorimage
    Has anyone ever tried mothers and a high speed polisher? I have my polished aluminum Turbo 400 Tranny sitting in my living room next to my Christmas tree. I used the hand polish, but want better results. I live in Northern Idaho, so finding a polisher is not around the corner (although I did find a powerdercoat place that does a great job). Any thoughts on the high speed polisher and a can of Mothers?
    Well i can tell ya guys from expierence that mothers and all the other hand cleaning soultions work very well in a quick cleanup situation... on the other hand when it comes to heavy polishing ...like trannys and raw material and anything with heavy water spots that jewelers rouge works the best ... heavy scratches and raw material= black rouge, brown is for lighter scratches and metal that has been polished but is very dull ...mainly from the elements ...green frist final ..and white for last final[ mainly used with a flannel pad ...very soft and flexible... the buffer that i use is a makita vairable speed up to 3500 rpm... some like to use faster and slower grinders also ...to answer the question its easier to sand trannys frist with 220, 300, 400, 600 and if ya really want to 1000 grit at the end thats cool also ... the work sucks and ya get really dirty ..but its all worth it in the end ... ive been polishing for 10 yrs and i learn something new everyday .. its all good ...if ya have any more questions ill try to help and pass the knowledge along.. its a lot of trial and ...... im usually in the just jets but im looking for my next project ...

SGettmann
    Well i can tell ya guys from expierence that mothers and all the other hand cleaning soultions work very well in a quick cleanup situation... on the other hand when it comes to heavy polishing ...like trannys and raw material and anything with heavy water spots that jewelers rouge works the best ... heavy scratches and raw material= black rouge, brown is for lighter scratches and metal that has been polished but is very dull ...mainly from the elements ...green frist final ..and white for last final[ mainly used with a flannel pad ...very soft and flexible... the buffer that i use is a makita vairable speed up to 3500 rpm... some like to use faster and slower grinders also ...to answer the question its easier to sand trannys frist with 220, 300, 400, 600 and if ya really want to 1000 grit at the end thats cool also ... the work sucks and ya get really dirty ..but its all worth it in the end ... ive been polishing for 10 yrs and i learn something new everyday .. its all good ...if ya have any more questions ill try to help and pass the knowledge along.. its a lot of trial and ...... im usually in the just jets but im looking for my next project ...
    MirrorImage - thanks for the sanding suggestion. I'm hanging out with my dad over Christmas break and we both agreed that this is sounding like a good idea. I'll try it on my tranny bell housing and then try on my Gentry Turbo hardware. I did hit Sears earlier this week and buy the polishing wheels with the rouge for the Craftsman die grinder that I have. I'll give that a try.
    Thanks again for the suggestion. The holidays and down time is time spend brain storming on how I can fix up my boat. Dad's in town and the brain storming is flying.

mirrorimage
    cool glad i could help ... one thing about die grinders ... start off with with a flapper wheel probably like 100 grit or 220 .. dont be afraid to use it up ...i mean all the flapper wheel . be careful that you dont overspeed the the felt bobs when you polish they exploed ... there usually marked on the max speed somewhere . ive had a few do that and ive dug the shaft into the metal and had to start over ..it sucks .but have fun your gonna go through a lot of material and bobbs and sandpaper ..there are a few websites to look at ....... www.caswellplating.com and www.tarheelproducts.com ... if the links are not working just pm me ill help ya out till then seeya

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast