Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedal Theory 101

Fired Up
    The pedal adjustment thread got me thinking. Now this may be an old topic for some but new for others. So what is the best way to work a two pedal system? Some say DON"T use the up pedal at all ..cut it off. Others will say "I use the up pedal only to hold the plate up against the stop to keep the plate from sucking down" and I think there are a few that will use it to lift the plate, I don't know. In my inexperience I've found myself just resting my foot on the down pedal after lifting it and not moving from there. But I think there is inherent danger in mashing it back down if your boat gets a little too loose. How about some practical suggestions for us rookies out here...

BigBoyToys
    Don't touch the Up pedal wink That's the only practical answer I could give a "Rookie" wink IF someone decides to use the UP pedal, he/she should be VERY experienced with the boat and know how it's gonna act in certain situations. An UP pedal at the wrong time and/or too much UP pedal can spell disaster
    BTW Sam, you ain't a rookie....you took 2nd place your first race! I'd say that's doing good. How's the boat coming along?

pgf127rt
    Sam, especially in a Canyon always stay in contact with the down pedal, and if the boat makes a strange move, instant light pressure on the down will drop the nose and possibly avert a bad situation, on mine with arund 1000 hp i couldn't ever let the down all the way up or it would leave the water, my style may not be right for you or others but I am safely retired now and never got wet.
    [ April 12, 2003, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: pgf127rt ]

What PGF127rt said. I always have to use just a bit of "down" in my Hondo. The only time I can get off the plate is with two fat guys in the boat.
    [ April 12, 2003, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: 058 ]

BGMAN203
    The only time you will ever be able to get out of the down all the way would be on a closed course race track. Two reasons....first that is the only place you will most likley find smooth water....and second the rescue is right there if "stuff happens". I can only get out of the down about 1/2 way at the river in the middle of the day and I will never look for the up pedal at the river, even at 5am.
    [ April 12, 2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: BGMAN203 ]

BILLY.B
    I have only driven a couple of runner bottoms and I know the handling is a lot different then a Biesemeyer , but I'm always able to come off the down peddle (decent water) , and if the nose started to suck in I would go over to the up and just rest my foot there and it would allow the boat to free up until I ran out of gear . To solve the problem of having to go to the UP peddle I added a second row of bolts to the cavitation plates and the plate sucking problem was over and no more UP peddle . One word of advise that was told to me years ago from a veteran BAF driver ,never get off the throttle while your on the UP peddle !!! ,it will spell DISASTER.. eek!

Dragboat Dad
    Pedal 101 has been very informative for me. I am a rookie and always looking for advise. I'm still working on the down pedal, I'll leave the other one alone.

Terminal Velocity
    BillyB you've peaked my curiosity on this second row of bolts on the Cav Plates how far back from the first set did you go? We're yours straight across to begin w/? I have noticed that some of the newer hulls in have the everyother one staggered. Are you running 3/16 or 1/4" plates and how long are they from the transom? what year Biesmeyer are you running? Mine is '77.
    Thanks in advance

77charger
    I only let off the down pedal if the water is smooth.Mine has an up pedal that will keep the plate from being sucked up i tried it no major difference since the plate doesnt get sucked down.I always rest my foot on the down pedal now incase i have to hit it or a roller comes up

Fired Up
    Can't you just set more tension on the springs to keep your pedal (plate) from getting sucked down? I would think you'd see or feel the pedal move down if your plate was getting sucked back down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast