Thread: Wanted: Casale whirlaway and 1 1/8" prop/strut conversion

Fancy Sausage
    Looking for a whirlaway to convert my '82 Sanger Ski hydro.
    Additionally, if someone has it, I would also like to convert the undersized 1" prop shaft and strut to 1 1/8" to handle the HP.
    If someone has all or part of the 1 1/8 stuff, I am interested.
    For now, I need to get the whirlaway conversion on it right away.
    Vacaville, Ca.

Fiat48
    Before you go further.....measure the ID of your strut barrell. Not the strut bushing...the barrell itself.
    If it is 1 3/8" then all you need is a different strut bushing for 1 1/8 prop shaft.
    If the strut is 1 1/4" ID....then you need to have a new strut made.
    Same deal with the whip strut if you run one.
    Sangers came both ways.
    A used prop shaft you do not want. You don't know the quality or what it has been through. You want a new Aquamet 22 prop shaft.
    Tom Bently has that stuff. You also want the new killer key stock. He has that stuff too.

Before you go further.....measure the ID of your strut barrell. Not the strut bushing...the barrell itself.
    If it is 1 3/8" then all you need is a different strut bushing for 1 1/8 prop shaft.
    If the strut is 1 1/4" ID....then you need to have a new strut made.
    Same deal with the whip strut if you run one.
    Sangers came both ways.
    A used prop shaft you do not want. You don't know the quality or what it has been through. You want a new Aquamet 22 prop shaft.
    Tom Bently has that stuff. You also want the new killer key stock. He has that stuff too.
    Bob, any idea what the key stock material is?

repo man
    i've got an 1''1/8 kamenl propshaft brand spankin new.

Fiat48
    Bob, any idea what the key stock material is?
    Not sure what it is. Tom would know. I do know I twisted a hardened piece of keystock off last year and lost a brand new prop shaft because of it...and damn near lost my prop. That is when Tom told me about this stuff and I went to it.

Fancy Sausage
    Good info...Always interested in learning something new...Keeping my fingers crossed that I might be lucky.
    The new prop shaft vs. used is a big 10/4 that I was definitely planning to do but wasn't aware of the new key you are eluding to. ( Does this mean I don't have to sacrafice a Craftsman screwdriver for a key anymore? ha ha )
    1 1/8" prop will be the last search...Racing days are over and not out to break any records at the lake but want to stick with a 11 1/4 x 17 cleaver if anyone out there wants to let one go reasonably.
    Plan was to hit up all my race buddies for the prop after I get the other stuff lined up if the forum doesn't pan out
    Thanks for the info....I will contact Tom.

jimsplace
    That craftsman screwdriver is pretty good material. A suggestion is to buy one of there longest screwdrivers, it's probably 8-10 inches long and sells for about $8.00. You now have several keys.

That craftsman screwdriver is pretty good material. A suggestion is to buy one of there longest screwdrivers, it's probably 8-10 inches long and sells for about $8.00. You now have several keys.
    Not sure you want to do that...radiused corners and probably not square!

boat 569
    I've never had a problem using craftsman screwdrivers. I've used them for keys on TAH's and TFH's. We tried several different types of key stock before that. Some would try to shear off. And others were so hard that they would break or ruin the prop or shaft. I haven't tried what Tom has but would interested to know what it is made of.