Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to launch at Big River??

code8
    Sorry dude. it's been the running joke for a few years now because the place is getting crowded.
    chula vista? you take the 8 toward yuma to go to the river? that's a great drive. very scenic. much better than the boring drive on i-10 from where i live.
    yup up the 8 freeway, drive through the desert and hit Martinez. It's a 3 hour drive. I've been reading about Big River for awhile. It sounds "top secret". My wifes grand father lives there so where gonna check up on him too. Actually right next to Docs'. I believe there is a post office up the road.
    Crowded, you should see Martinez. It's fun and crazy at times, but I have the family now and want to sloooowwww down a bit.
    Last year we hung out at Hidden Shores. That place is real nice and the crowd was great.

cyclone
    It's got a lot of shells though????? So the real shell beach is the one near those Tiki Huts that somebody put up????
    dunno. i always turn around at the bend past lost lake. maybe i'll go exlore down river a bit further now that my boat gets better gas mileage. what's after LL? how far down is Aha? I'd like to go down there and see this lagoon everyone's racing in.

cyclone
    yup up the 8 freeway, drive through the desert and hit Martinez. It's a 3 hour drive. I've been reading about Big River for awhile. It sounds "top secret". My wifes grand father lives there so where gonna check up on him too. Actually right next to Docs'. I believe there is a post office up the road.
    Crowded, you should see Martinez. It's fun and crazy at times, but I have the family now and want to sloooowwww down a bit.
    Last year we hung out at Hidden Shores. That place is real nice and the crowd was great.
    ah its not the crowded. it would be nice to keep it that way though. lol

MudPumper
    dunno. i always turn around at the bend past lost lake. maybe i'll go exlore down river a bit further now that my boat gets better gas mileage. what's after LL? how far down is Aha? I'd like to go down there and see this lagoon everyone's racing in.
    I've been down there a few times. It's just past LL and around the bend. The beach is really nice and was only sand last time I was there. I just dropped an anchor and let the boat float. I took this pic of the old boat there.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...Boat_River.JPG

HBjet
    I've been down there a few times. It's just past LL and around the bend. The beach is really nice and was only sand last time I was there. I just dropped an anchor and let the boat float. I took this pic of the old boat there.
    dude, I think your talking about Volleyball Island. You could get there by boat or by truck from LL. It used to have these 2 volleyball poles in the ground. We used to go there when I was a kid. They was the place everyone went. Lots of good memories. My dad has some old photos - I will have to get them some day.
    HB

HBjet
    big river is a mythical place. it does not exist. i heard if you head south, past blythe, you'll find big river right before mexico. i dunno, that's just what i heard.
    Yup, I just heard on the news. Big River moved to above Needles. Nothing to see past Parker... move along now...

MudPumper
    dude, I think your talking about Volleyball Island. You could get there by boat or by truck from LL. It used to have these 2 volleyball poles in the ground. We used to go there when I was a kid. They was the place everyone went. Lots of good memories. My dad has some old photos - I will have to get them some day.
    HB
    Yeah, thats the place Randy. Gina's brother drove there when the pic of the boat was taken. So that place is different than the Real Shell Beach people are speaking of????

HBjet
    Dude, that place was called VolleyBall Island 16 years ago - and to me it will always be VolleyBall Island. Maybe someone dumped a few truck loads of shells there... I do not know. But I have always heard Shell Beach was the place we were Saturday.
    HBjet

No, shell beach is about two beaches before "volleyball island". Up until a few years ago one of the polls was still there. Not sure if it is anymore.
    Coming from LL the first beach is the Palapas. Some peeps from Hidden Valley built them I believe. It's nice back there because it's more of a lagoon and has picnic tables, a BBQ and horseshoe pits. Keep going down a bit, and you will find shell beach. Next is just a regular beach that we call the sandbar. The one after that is what HBJet refers to as volleyball island. all of those are only separated by reeds and are accessable by 4x4 (or 4x2 if you air down!!!!!!).

Danhercules
    Sorry dude. it's been the running joke for a few years now because the place is getting crowded.
    chula vista? you take the 8 toward yuma to go to the river? that's a great drive. very scenic. much better than the boring drive on i-10 from where i live.
    Mike, Thats the way to go to Marteniz lake. YOu have to go there. Miles and miles of flat water and lots of sandbars. You would love it there. The only tough part it finding a place to stay.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast