Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now it's my turn to vent...

Hotcrusader76
    Ok...motor is together...so far so good...
    YEAH RIGHT...
    Has anybody had this problem before?
    I installed the BBC Victor 2-R intake today and for some odd reason my Mallory COMP 9000 dist. will not fit due to tower clearances and the base will not matte up to the intake boss...Ok...No shit...it's too big....moving on...
    Next question....Now that I have decided to switch to a small base MSD Pro-Billet with slip collar...will the MSD dist be compatiable with my ALL Mallory set-up Hy-fire ignition or will it only work with MSD stuff? Trick question? No.
    Wes and I have spent many hours laying this project out and organizing where everything is going, etc, etc...
    Couldn't I just get a killer Mallory that will fit?
    Ok....done venting...time to do some research...
    ~Ty
    Ya know if I have to spend another dime on this freakin project...

FastRat1
    just my 2 cents...why dont u just take the stuff u have and sell it and put a Vertex Mag in it..no fuss..no muss..i have been running one for yrs..both in drag cars and boats..never any probs..also..no wear and tear on the battery..just a thought

Hotcrusader76
    So I take it that I need a slip collar version and quite possibly another dist.?
    I ran this Mallory COMP 9000 before with my TRX Edelbrock tunnel for years...no clearance problems at all. Now it seems the Victor 2R is having none of this...

Hotcrusader76
    And yes the dist. is engaged with oil pump drive. I verified with and without the intake manifold to see if anything was catching....nadda...it just doesn't want to touch the intake...
    If I only had 1/4" more I could make this POS work.
    ~Ty

DogHouse
    Ty, this would be my suggestion...
    -brian
    ps: Forgot to mention that the timing is so rock solid that the balancer/trigger wheel looks like it's sitting still under the timing light when the engine is running. My MSD stuff was never even close.
    [ July 28, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: DogHouse ]

Hotcrusader76
    Thanks for the input guys but I may need to reclarify what I am after.
    I will only buy MSD or Mallory at this point. I DO NOT want to ditch the Mallory set-up (Hy-fire and Mallory Coil) because they are already rigged and mounted. Bottom line is I need another dist. but a small cap MSD requires an MSD box. Can my Mallory Box fire that MSD small cap?
    That is the question...
    If I was to dump another loot of money into this motor I would have gone crank trigger...and don't temp me! wink

DogHouse
    Hotcrusader76:
    ...Can my Mallory Box fire that MSD small cap?
    I would verify this with Mallory first, but yes the MSD distributor should be able to be used as a trigger for the Mallory box. You will just have to splice some wires if they don't make an adapter harness. I guess it would be nice to hear from someone who's actually tried it!

Hotcrusader76
    Well I know that the MSD has a black/violet(-) and the black/orange(+) and the Mallory has a green/violet/orange.
    I will be calling Mallory tomorrow to see if they have anything that fits besides their COMP 9000. If all else fails I will call up MSD as well. Problem is....NO ONE IS HOME RIGHT NOW....LMAO...
    I think it's Miller time..gotta go

HBjet
    Does Mallory make another (smaller) cap for that dist? I'm sure someone else has had this problem before.
    BTW, my MSD fits nice!
    Ok, sorry about that
    HBjet

Hotcrusader76
    Randy...
    Do you have the small cap MSD?
    I think Mallory will be able to work something out...or at least have a clue with what's going on here.
    I might check my cam gear again to make sure Mallory didn't switch something on me while it was out for refurbish...
    Could that happen? Mr.Murphy says so...LMAO
    ~Ty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast