Thread: berkeley jg oil?

OUTLAW HALLETT
    im putting a berkeley jg in my boat and i dont know if i have to put oil in the jet if so where and how much i know the old panther had to get oil and i assume the berk is the same but i just dont know where or how thanks billy

brad22
    Take the 2 pipe plugs out of the bowl and fill one side with 90 weight gear oil until it comes out the other side. Put the plugs back and you are good to go. It should only hold a few ounces.

OUTLAW HALLETT
    cool thanks

W.O.T
    i have my bowl set up to run grease instead of gear oil. one plug has a grease fitting for a grease gun.

wmitchell
    Is there an advantage to running grease in your bowl??

HammerDown
    Personally I would run the oil.
    Reason...it's two wide Bushings and a Shaft with a close clearance. The oil will flow where it needs to go. I would think the grease would just get spun out of the way and stay there, unlike a wheel bearing that gets Hot enough to liquefy the grease so it flows into the roller bearing.
    Also, you don't need any special hi-dollar Oil. Cheap off the shelf Gear Oil or even a heavy straight wt motor oil will do fine. If it gets (milky) simply flush it out as needed. Only holds a small amount.

brad22
    From what I have been told:
    NO JET DRIVE SHOULD HAVE ANY GREASE IN THE BOWL. The grease will catch dirt and soot and carry it into the bearings WEARING out your shaft prematurely. Stick with 90 Weight Gear Oil like Berkeley suggests.
    Brad
    CP Performance