Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fuel problems?

suckin&pumpin
    so a week or so ago i had water in my fuel and after some good tips from the board i drained and added a seperator, today was first day out and she idled beautiful when I nailed she jumped up like a big dog but as soon as starts to plane out it starts missing and I cant get over 3700 rpm, Felt like it was starvin for fuel, but I am not sure, can a seperator affect your flow?
    fyi, its a 460 with a edelbrock 800

Ken F
    What size lines do you have feeding the carb, and how radical is your engine?
    From the sound of it I would suspect the Edelbrock, but I'm really not a big fan of them. Have you checked float levels?
    Ken F

suckin&pumpin
    ita a stock 460 3/8 fuel lines mech. pump

OverKill
    Are your useing stainless lines with A/N fittings ?? If so you want to make sure you don't have any leaks. Usually if there is an air leak it will be the connecting fittings right at the fuel filter/ sepereator. Are you running Electric fuel pump or Mechanical??

suckin&pumpin
    no, rubber lines, hose clamps, mechanical pump never had a problem till the water, could I have water sitting in the bowls?

GUGS102
    no, rubber lines, hose clamps, mechanical pump never had a problem till the water, could I have water sitting in the bowls?
    Make sure you pull the carb and clean it out. Thise carbs are pretty user friendly, you might just flip it over and dump it out and try it again.

OverKill
    Thats a very good idea to get rid of all the fuel. If you have bad gas you have to pull apart every thing. Take lines apart, pull carb. and yes you can just dump it upside down. You just can't empty the tanks, it all has to be rid of. Also do you have an airport near by. If so get some AV gas in both tanks and run that after you put everything back together. You should be good to go then.

centerhill condor
    I recommend "sea foam" fuel additive. Also, did you tape the fittings into the seperator housing? I recommend pipe dope...You can have an air leak into the housing and due to the spring loaded check valves in the tank fittings you'll pull air instead of gas and it will act as you describe.
    You can sometimes smell gas and see fuel on the housing or filter canister as a clue.
    CC

W.O.T
    im having the same problem boat starts to run out of gas around 4k. i think im having a problem drawing fuel from one tank. im going to clean out my tanks and put a new filter and lines. i should probably run a water seperator also.

OverKill
    I was thinking you could put the carb. on sideways. With the bowls side to side instead of forward and back ward. Reason is so you don't empty the first bowl when you get on it. Or just gravity alone when moving can pull fuel away from the forward bowl. However you will need to get the throttle linkage to do this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast