Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thinking about the ocean

whiteworks
    I am having trouble finding enough time to get to the river as often as I would like. I am hearing the big blue calling my name. I'm thinking that something in the 30' range, twin outboards, closed deck, something you can spend a night or two on. I think that I would like to start with an older boat and re power it. what should I be looking for in an ocean style boat? I have never done any power boating on the ocean only sailing and cruisers, What is the learning curve of driving in swells? I want a boat that is designed for saltwater and going to be pretty low maintenance all things considered. For now lets just call this homework.

MBlaster
    I am having trouble finding enough time to get to the river as often as I would like. I am hearing the big blue calling my name. I'm thinking that something in the 30' range, twin outboards, closed deck, something you can spend a night or two on. I think that I would like to start with an older boat and re power it. what should I be looking for in an ocean style boat? I have never done any power boating on the ocean only sailing and cruisers, What is the learning curve of driving in swells? I want a boat that is designed for saltwater and going to be pretty low maintenance all things considered. For now lets just call this homework.
    Not many whacka powered ocean boats that you can overnight on. You need to think express cruiser. They can be single or multi engined, gas or diesel, 25-100+ft. Convertibles usually have a fly bridge and a cockpit. Sportfishers are a convertible set up to fish. The world of motoryachts is huge and expensive. None are low maintanence. If you want low maintanence stay out of the salt and keep the jetboat.

whiteworks
    I was thinking more like a scaled down much lower budget version of this
    http://www.midnightboats.com/_media/...allery01lg.jpg
    http://www.midnightboats.com/_media/...allery04lg.jpg

76ANTHONY
    dammmmm, nice boats, look comfortable

whiteworks
    yeah those concepts are bot really nice. now back to the budget issue. I figure around 40k for a set of wackers and ? for an older hull. I actually would not mind somthing that needs some TLC what are some old bullet proof hull options?

mbrown2
    yeah those concepts are bot really nice. now back to the budget issue. I figure around 40k for a set of wackers and ? for an older hull. I actually would not mind somthing that needs some TLC what are some old bullet proof hull options?
    I would think an old Scarab or Fountain Center console...

DMOORE
    I would think an old Scarab or Fountain Center console...
    +1. They have been making them for years. May be the best choices for a nice older boat.
    Darrell.

MBlaster
    OK. I had a friend who sold his older scarab center console open cockpit with 2 whacka's. It had to be 26+feet. No sleeping area though. It did haul ass. He used to run from cabrillo to avalon muy pronto. It sold for around 25K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast