Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1986 200 Merc (carbs) performance issues

Tom Brown
    To run it that high (even with the pad) do I need a low water pickup?
    Yes. Also, like h2oski2fast said, get a water pressure gauge. They aren't a lot of money and it will save your engine.
    At that point, should I be moving the engine back off the transom?
    Setback usually helps but it varies from boat to boat. There should be lots of people with Schiada outboard experience who can tell you what the optimal setback will be.
    I would consider just dropping the engine back down. It should work the way it used to.
    When you decide to go for more height, get a jack plate, water pressure gauge, and low water pickup nose cone.

h2oski2fast
    OK! I'm pickin' up what you are laying down now. To run it that high (even with the pad) do I need a low water pickup? At that point, should I be moving the engine back off the transom?
    Thanks for the help!
    Each boat is different, but when moving the engine back, you need to raise it up. A general rule would be for every 2" back you go, you need to go up 1". By moving the motor back it will help get a better leverage point. You might also want to check out www.screamandfly.com there are lots of OB people there. This is the 1st OB I have really played around with, so I dont get into the workings of the motor (although I do understand how they work), I let Wilkes Marine handle that.

Riverkid
    Rut Roh....
    Using that formula, Dennis, my motor is about 22" too low...

jh4rt
    It may be overheating because it's not getting enough water at that height. Especially if you dont have a low water pick up. Not sure if you have a water pressure gauge, but I feel you need to know what the water pressure is while driving. It may also help to determine where the overheating problem lies.
    It was running about 15 lbs. It dropped to about 10 momentarily, but then I trimmed it back in. When it was getting hot in the afternoon, it was actually running 25 lbs.

h2oski2fast
    Rut Roh....
    Using that formula, Dennis, my motor is about 22" too low...
    Maybe! :idea:

h2oski2fast
    It was running about 15 lbs. It dropped to about 10 momentarily, but then I trimmed it back in. When it was getting hot in the afternoon, it was actually running 25 lbs.
    Sounds like there could be a thermostat problem.

Boat Racer
    if you could go back to the old set-up, with out alot of trouble or time I would, and see if problem continues...

jh4rt
    Well, I took the boat to M&K Marine in El Segundo. Miguel and Kathy are great to work with.
    He found a piece of "silicone" in the #5 carb. That cylinder was leaning out causing both the overheating and loss of power.
    It is making full power on his dyno now.
    Thanks everyone for the info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12