Thread: Champion v-drives

HM
    How hard is to find gears for a champion v-drive and how costly is it to change the gears out?

lucky
    what ratio -

HM
    what ratio -
    Don't know yet. I am looking at a boat with a champion v-drive. The guy has no idea of the ratio. Healthy BBC pushing a 21' cruiser to about 50 MPH. Definitely needs the setup to be optimized.
    But, lets say I am looking for a ratio of 25% - ish. I was running HD 27's previously and I really liked that setup.

HM
    Based on some crude observations, it looks like the gears in the champion are 10 ish. RPM, prop, speed, and say 20% slip. I say crude as the speedo is a 20 year old water pickup style. RPM is electronic gauge and old. Engine is healthy and I suspect is 500HP++ as it was a 502/502 that has been warmed up.
    Anyone know the gear increment choices, let alone where you can find them? Interesting is that this Champion V-drive also says Nicson on it.

HM
    thanks Lil Rick for helping me with the information.
    I want everyone else to hold back. Really..I can't keep up with all the replies with all the loads of information.

jh4rt
    Hey Holy.
    I have had a couple. I seem to remember the gears are easy enough to find. I bought bearings for one at King Bearing. I think that whole thing is made by a company that had nothing else to do with boats, so they used standard parts. However, the other thing I remember is that the case is not big enough to do a lot with the gearing. I remember that when we wanted to use a lot of over, we switched it for a Casale c-500. Also, the case is machine fit; no gasket. So, once you crack it open, they almost always leak.
    Good luck

HM
    Thanks for the info guys. The boat I was looking at got sold before I got there. I knew it wouldn't last and am suprised nobody posted it here.