Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier current draw

thmper321
    To go down to the next level...
    After the the analog signal is converted into a series of pulses, these operate the output transistors in either an "on" mode or an "off" mode. Transistors that are very effiecent when all the way on or all the way off are used in class D amps. When transistors are operated somewhere in between on and off, they are not efficient and end up generating a lot of heat. This is what is done is class A/B amps. They do sound cleaner because they can provide a better electrical representation of what the speaker is supposed to do to make sound than the bang on-bang off control the class D's provide.
    The reason they are used with subs is that the electrical and mechanical characteristics of the speaker will filter the pulse train from the class D amps.
    And that is taking it to the next level. Good info. I was trying to not get over too many heads.

ROZ
    And as far as school is concerned, I have been thinking about going back to get my Masters in Electronics Engineering.
    You'll make more money as an EE in technical sales....

thmper321
    You'll make more money as an EE in technical sales....
    I'm actually making more money now in car audio sales than I was as an R&D engineer for Alpine. I was making the crap that the sales guys were selling and they were making more money than me.

ROZ
    I'm actually making more money now in car audio sales than I was as an R&D engineer for Alpine. I was making the crap that the sales guys were selling and they were making more money than me.no no... I mean selling semiconductors and assisting in design to companies like Alpine, bose, Denon, YAmaha, Apple,etc... Real technical sales

thmper321
    no no... I mean selling semiconductors and assisting in design to companies like Alpine, bose, Denon, YAmaha, Apple,etc... Real technical sales
    I understood what you were getting at. I used to be in meetings all the time with Texas Instruments, Harris, and Tripath in regards to buying their semiconductors for projects I was working on.
    I think sales positions just make more money overall. It helps to have tech experience to go along with it.

warlock
    I failed amp class...I've got 2 old school punch 30's and a punch 150 and they seem ta' kill my amp quicker then shizz...What "class" are these juice suckers?

orange peel
    punch is everyday store bought stuff maybe B class. Ill deal with D-class amps all the time you dont need a D-class amp in your boat. But if you want one you can get one easy>You have to know what ohms you need to run the speakers you have 1-2-4-8? The higher the ohms the less power it will make,
    but You can also get a compacater it looks like a big AA batter it stores the power the amp needs to make the bass this will help the life of your battery
    for the day and over all. Just remember with the right box and air space you dont need so much power some 6x9s can sound as good as some tens.THE KEY IS RESEARCH WHAT YOU HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

warlock
    punch is everyday store bought stuff maybe B class. Ill deal with D-class amps all the time you dont need a D-class amp in your boat.
    Not EVEN close ...The OLD SCHOOL punch amps aren't EVEN close to an everyday store bought stuff...Name how many amps put out the power of a punch 150HD at the same size? New punch sucks but the old school shizz ya' can beat!

HitIt
    Ya, the old Punch is pretty solid. I would guess it is class A/B. Efficiency is probably around 50-60% or so. I remember those old Punches getting so hot you could cook on them. They sure could move a sub though.

thmper321
    You could cook eggs on them and they never shut off or blew up. The difference between american made semiconductors and overseas made. Linear amps back them were amazing also. There was no such thing as class D and they could move woofers like nothing else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast