Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: damage from memorial weekend

cave
    Dan sorry to read this. Good thing you still have the cruiser. That is on hell of a picture.

3 daytona`s
    The boat died while driving. I tried to restart it but no luck. The starter had shook loose and couldnt get to it to tighten it at the lake. Well that wouldnt have mattered since it actually ripped the starter off(stripped the block). So I got longer bolts and put them in and the motor wouldnt turn over. This is what I found.
    Get to Jetaholic,he has the answer to any and all jet/motor related issues:idea:

This pic pretty much tells the story. The valve hung open, piston came up and busted the head off. The pic of the piston makes it looks like it took a number of hits before the head of the valve broke off. Are the spring, retainer and keepers still on the stem?
    If this had been a case of water in the cylinder from something like a head gasket that was going away or a crack in the head or block, both the combustion chamber and the head of the piston would have little or no carbon left on them. Both the piston and combustion chamber in your pics show normal amounts of carbon. I am concerned that the exhaust valve looks rusty, though.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...2&d=1181762101

wsuwrhr
    It would take more than 100 revolutions to steamclean the cumbustion chamber.
    If this had been a case of water in the cylinder from something like a head gasket that was going away or a crack in the head or block, both the combustion chamber and the head of the piston would have little or no carbon left on them. Both the piston and combustion chamber in your pics show normal amounts of carbon. I am concerned that the exhaust valve looks rusty, though.

Hotfish
    I thought that Brian took the boat out and as soon as he hit the nitrous the dipstick shot out of the block. Then you took it out to see what was wrong with and thats when you got towed in.

It would take more than 100 revolutions to steamclean the cumbustion chamber.
    Exactly. Headgaskets dont just -----POOF!-----. They start slow and get worse. Most people don't even realize that they are feeling and sometimes seeing the symptoms LONG before they finally give up completely. I've never pulled a head from an engine with a blown headgasket that didn't have a real nice steam cleaned finish. Been in the mechanic biz for 28 years.......
    BTW, where did the "100 revolutions" come from??

dang thats some torn up stuff, sorry to see that, good luck with the repairs..

OverKill
    I thought that Brian took the boat out and as soon as he hit the nitrous the dipstick shot out of the block. Then you took it out to see what was wrong with and thats when you got towed in.
    Hot fish hows that new motor coming along. I have to hear that beast when she fires.

centerhill condor
    another one bites the dust! dude, sorry 'bout your bad luck.
    thanks for posting the pics.

Hotfish
    Hot fish hows that new motor coming along. I have to hear that beast when she fires.
    Running pretty good. I am tinkering with the carbs right now. Seems to be starving for fuel after I stay in it a couple of seconds. Going to try the jet extentions to see if that helps. Glad to see you up on your feet. You gotta be wanting to take the boat out pretty bad eh?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast