Thread: Timing ?

SED253
    Can running to much timing actually slow down your top end speeds

jbone
    Running too much of anything can slow you down.
    Too much timing will affect performance, and can cause some serious problems.
    I know this from experience.
    I'm sure some experts will help you out here, but they will your engine setup to do so.
    J

SED253
    merc 454 mag...headers..B&M 250 SC..single 850....6lbs boost....Full MSD ignition... 36* total timing spinning engine at 5200 revs

MACHINEHEAD
    32 total with 8to 1 and 91 octane and no more than 120 water temp. If you exceed any of these except for the octane , your looking for trouble with iron heads.

Unchained
    The only way too much timing will slow you down is if it becomes detonation.
    Otherwise you want as much as the engine will take for max power.
    A knock sensor is the only way to find the detonation point other than just listening for it.
    Passenger cars tie the knock sensor to the ECU and keep the timing as advanced as possible.

MACHINEHEAD
    I have found that a engine of any type will go past max power with more total timing at WOT. If a engine makes max power at 32 degrees it still may not detonate or pre ignite untill 37 degrees and even at 35 degrees its making less power. Lets go to extremes. 8 to 1 small block with aluminum heads on race fuel. This thing will probably never detonate, but its still going to make peak power at lets say 36 degrees. Going to 46 degrees will not make more power. Knock sensors on cars, I think, is for max part throttle efficiency. At WOT they return to the original base map timing, may be wrong though.

IMPATIENT 1
    I have found that a engine of any type will go past max power with more total timing at WOT. If a engine makes max power at 32 degrees it still may not detonate or pre ignite untill 37 degrees and even at 35 degrees its making less power. Lets go to extremes. 8 to 1 small block with aluminum heads on race fuel. This thing will probably never detonate, but its still going to make peak power at lets say 36 degrees. Going to 46 degrees will not make more power. Knock sensors on cars, I think, is for max part throttle efficiency. At WOT they return to the original base map timing, may be wrong though.
    i've watched alot of gm cars/trucks timing advance at wot, and some go all the way up to 40-45degrees total at wot.
    i'm gonna lock my timing at 34 degrees and let the btm take over.if i run race fuel i can just twist the knob alittle and barely remove any timing per pb of boost.i plan on installing a knock sensor system as soon as i realy get a handle on the fuel ratio thru out the rpm range with my o2 system. be nice to see the detonation on the gauge way before i can hear it, by then its usualyy to late by then

MACHINEHEAD
    Roger that, boost set up. On the car thing, do you see the timing stay at 40-45 or does it begin to add more fuel then begin to retard, or ? I think to be safe for the person asking the question, we need to know what cyl. head and comp ratio and we all could give a little advise.