Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what carb do I need

78vdrive
    I have a 1978 flat bottom vdrive. The motor is a 350 with a mild cam and a torker manifold. I need a new carb but I don't know wich one to get. someone told me I need one with mechanical secondaries because I won't have enough vacuum. I don't know anything about carbs please help

GofastRacer
    Please give a litle more info on your setup, what boat do you have?, is this a ski boat?, hot rod?, what are you're intentions for this boat?. Just from you're present info, I would say a #3310 750 would be the choice BUT???....

78vdrive
    I have a 2spd pglide and I am suppose to be at 300-350 horse. It is a flat bottom I want to use it for skiing but more importantly for speed and dependability

DUCKY
    I would second GFR's basic recommendation on the 750 vacuum secondary. Carb selection should be pretty much based on your intended rpm range with the motor. A 350ci engine requires .202 cfm of air per 2 revolutions (4 stroke). Which means if you are planning on on turning it 6000rpm, you carb needs to be at least 607 cfm minimum. So a 750 with vacuum secondaries would be good, because the secondaries will not open until the motor "needs" the airflow. If you want to run a mech. secondary, then a 750 would be over kill.
    Hope this helps.

78vdrive
    I was thinking of the edelbrocks (simple and cheap). what do you think of the barry grant 650 mechanical or the holley 4777 (650 mechanical) What is the best bang for the buck. I want a good range and not just top end. Thank you very much

Moneypitt
    As stated above, I would agree that any carb (brand) you choose, stick to the vacuum sec. type. These carbs will deliver the fuel the engine asks for, WHEN it asks for it. Mech sec. allow you to really over fuel an engine with your foot. Most people get the "feel" of the secondaries in the wrong way. In order for the abrupt shock of acceleration to be felt, there must first be a bog, an actual deceleration. A good working secondary is just a gradual increase in acceleration, hardly felt until the engine starts to gain rpms. BOG=BAD, gradual =good. Even the edelbrock afb types that have mechanical linkage to the secondaries have an additional butterfly that is opened by vacuum. And remember that gas isn't going to get any cheaper anytime soon......Moneypitt

DUCKY
    Moneypitt:
    As stated above, I would agree that any carb (brand) you choose, stick to the vacuum sec. type. These carbs will deliver the fuel the engine asks for, WHEN it asks for it. Mech sec. allow you to really over fuel an engine with your foot. Most people get the "feel" of the secondaries in the wrong way. In order for the abrupt shock of acceleration to be felt, there must first be a bog, an actual deceleration. A good working secondary is just a gradual increase in acceleration, hardly felt until the engine starts to gain rpms. BOG=BAD, gradual =good. Even the edelbrock afb types that have mechanical linkage to the secondaries have an additional butterfly that is opened by vacuum. And remember that gas isn't going to get any cheaper anytime soon......Moneypitt The above is absolutely correct. If you prefer the Edelbrock/AFB, carb, go for it. I have had one on my truck that came out of the box, and I have never had to mess with it in over a year (no leaks/no jet or metering rod changes), but I have noticed that it has never been as smooth a pull to wide open as my old Holley (vacuum secondary), and my gas mileage depends much more on how I drive it.

GofastRacer
    The AFB type carb is a reliable all around carb, I have one on my dually and my beater and they work great but I do not see those as a performance carb, for that I would stick with a Holley!..My .02!...

78vdrive
    I really do appreciate your suggestions. So I do need a 750 vacuum because a mechanical is a gas waste for me. A 600 or a 650 is not enough cfm. and the holley is better but the edelbrock will work just not as good. I think I understand now. I think That my chooses are either the edelbrock eps 800 #1412 for $279,
    edelbrock 750 #1407 $218.99
    or the holley 3310 $225.99. They are all about the same price what would be the best. Sorry for my ignorance.

GofastRacer
    If you just have a cruiser, any one of those are good carbs but stay away from the double pumpers, you'll be dumping fuel for nothing. Personally, I would use the 3310, but that's me!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast