Thread: casale gears

76 sanger hydro
    im sure everyone has seen my ass draggen hydro in the water i was wondering how do i check what gears i have and what do i need. i have a 30 over 396 with 10:1 pistons i can get it to spin 6100 on the tack but the boat feels like it wants to come alive about then i have the power to get out of the hole but i think boat has like 12 or 15s in it what do you suggest i do the motors spinnen like hell and boat seams like im in low gear

Nstigator74
    Inboard steer?What kind of prop?

Sangster
    76... idea2 ..I don't think it's as much a gear problem with your boat as prop selection...What are you runnun for a prop...The guy to talk to is V-DRIVE TOM...He can save you alot of time & grief figuring it out..Also talk to Paul @ GT Boats..He did my boat...and he's close to your place... smilespi smilespi

Kurtis500
    76 sanger hydro:
    im sure everyone has seen my ass draggen hydro in the water i was wondering how do i check what gears i have and what do i need. i have a 30 over 396 with 10:1 pistons i can get it to spin 6100 on the tack but the boat feels like it wants to come alive about then i have the power to get out of the hole but i think boat has like 12 or 15s in it what do you suggest i do the motors spinnen like hell and boat seams like im in low gearDoes sound like prop. My (other) boat my friend drives runs 12's in the box and spins 7300 in the lights at 110 give or take a few mph depending on the track location and tune-up. Super reliable, and runs a 2-blade cleaver. Really could use more gear since it quits pulling a little early down the track, but this set-up allows it to run its number usually. You should blow the tail really quick with low gears. Some other considerations is if you have a lot of weight i.e. gas tank, battery and so-on in the back of the boat or the motor may be back too far(probably not, but worth mentioning) If there is a lot of weight back there you can feel the rear-end shaking trying to come up. I fought this with a big heavy motor in the back of mine. Placement was pretty critical, like in a flatbottom.
    And now for the king of all screw ups--which, of course, I learned from experience. Make sure your throttle stops on the carbs/injector AND pedal are at WIDE OPEN! I ran the whole world finals with my foot throttle stoping at 3/4. Eventhough you could grab the intake and open the throttle wide open. THe cable took up the slack. I know it sounds stupid, but I did 2 races like this and never caught it. easy way to rob power

Sangster
    K-500.. 76 is runnung a ski-hydro w/inboard steering. Also location of of the prop should be looked at ..
    [ December 17, 2002, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

Kurtis500
    Sangster:
    K-500.. 76 is runnung a ski-hydro w/inboard steering. Also location of of the prop should be looked at ..My shovel nose is also an inboard rudder system. It has 2 rudders also, one on each side of the prop shaft. The boat gets up and goes pretty good. We tested different 2 blade and 3 blade cleavers on both the shovel nose and Kurtis. I dont know the measurements to the prop. I'll get it when he brings the boat over Friday. One thing that worked for me i nthe Kurtis was to move the battery to the left front sponson. The change was very noticeable. Heres a pic of the shovel nose:
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/imagePost.cgi?action=uploaded&image=Mize.JPG&thumb =tn_Mize.JPG&category=Raceboat_Arenas/Drag_Boats[/img]
    http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/imag...nas/Drag_Boats

Sangster
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Raceboat_Arenas/Drag_Boats/Mize.JPG[/img]

76 sanger hydro
    thanks for your info where do i get numbers off of prop to determin size and how do i measure location to give you specs mind if i pop in at cfw to watch?

Sangster
    the #s for the prop should be stamped on the barrel of the prop...Talk to Tom Bently about a 3-blade... wink