Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jet vs. Prop???

J-440
    I was thinking about puting a little something together for the river and needed a some input. I hear jets suck........a lot of water, ect...
    Any thoughts??

76ANTHONY
    jets are great for shallow water, and they make a badazz rooster

J-440
    Roost is cool, but props are faster aren't they????

21TUNL
    And so it begins.....

Beer-30
    I can't say for bottom or top end. Dunno. But, if you watch any boat testing, jets are always at the bottom of the cruise efficiency.
    Most all other boats of similar size, say 21', with big-block and Bravo = 53-38 mph at 4000 rpm. Depending on the make and hull style.
    Similar 21' with big-block and jet = 38-40 mph at 4000 rpm.

Sleeper CP
    Look J-440,
    My first question is are you really looking for a boat or are you just some "Prop Guy" trying to start some crap here?
    If you are looking for a boat take some of the following things into consideration: Where do you plan on boating? Is the water deep or shallow? Do you have to worry about rocks,stumps,sandbars, etc, etc?
    I can start water sking from my jet in 30"(2 1/2 ft) of water and clear a sand bar on plane in 18" or less of water. You wont do that with a V-drive or IO. But on the other hand if I put my engine in a v-drive(flatty) it could push it to 140+ or a hydro to 165+, or a 20-21 foot rec boat like a Stoker or a Cole it could probably do 120+ with the right drive, but I choose to run it in a 8 passenger family ski Jet boat that only does 103.
    Figuire out where you'll take it and what you want to do with it. It will help you decide what power system is right for you.
    But, I think I smell a skunk here

Sleeper CP
    And so it begins.....
    Nice post... a true statement indeed.

Amm
    I would consider myself an amatuer at jet boating, but the following seems to be the truth.
    Jets are simpler.
    - You get what feels like power steering without the complexity.
    - A VERY reliable water pump is a huge bonus
    - Engine can be level and facing frontwards
    - no raising or lowering the engine complexity
    Jets are safer in all respects except one, when you lose power you lose steering.
    - power steering on outboards and sterndrives negate this disadvantage.
    - props are SHARP
    - being able to reverse towards someone in the water is very nice thing.
    Jets are considerably less money
    - This is especially true over the 600 hp mark.
    So when saying that props are faster, that is not necessarily true. There are many on this forum who can make over 600hp in an engine for a reasonable amount of money. There are far less that can afford a Merc #6 drive and the maintenance required for it.

Slacker
    Both boats can run fast, just have to figure out how much money you want to throw at it! I have seen both run 80 to 100+, just depends

J-440
    Although it is fun to "stir the pot", this is a legit question. I've ridden in both and yes both can be fast.
    I've seen guys throw a lot of money (aka power) at a pump boat and had nothing but problems.
    If you want to haul ass and be reliable don't you have to have your pump worked? Don't get me wrong, a good v-drive is not cheap either but from what I've seen they seem to be less trouble once you're set up. Time and time again I see guys working on thier pumps and motors. They seem to be particular....I'm a bit confused.
    I'd rather just work on the motor and not have to worry about the rest.
    I guess it's all money either way you look at it. I just want to have fun without spending my life's savings!!!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast